Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=rowingdude;756599]Any ideas on a complete kit (pump, injectors, turbo kit)? That way we can go buy a junkyard IDI, dress it up nicely with new gaskets, studs, etc, and then apply all this goodness to it!

Also, I was curious about the exhaust manifold, is there a reason the turbo has to be placed where it is? Can't it be run to the side like in every other turbo application? I know this would mean moving the passenger side battery, but I was just curious.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The turbo at the side should have the up pipes left and right with the same length. That's probably not possible if not on top.
Also the vans have less room in the front but ford, of course, dos not want to engeneer two designs.

+ as mentiond aboven- a so called kid that exists only in theory is not more than that!
First we should see the output
+ How much m/g
+ what temperatures, oil and water and cylinder head and egt
+ deliverability, like how good is it to drive, turbo leak

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
aofarrell2,...;And for everyone else who brought up about Cummins swaps etc., a Cummins swap can NOT be done for $2500, unless you got a parts truck for $1000 or less, just the engine is worth several thousand if it runs. If you've done a swap for $2500 or less, then I'd really like to know how you cut corners. Otherwise keep your mouth shut, no need to bring that crap up here, this isn't about Cummins swaps vs. IDI turbos, it's solely about IDI turbos...

My Cummins Conversion cost me about $1,000.00 out of pocket, and there was NO cutting corners,...but since this isn't about Cummins swaps vs. IDI turbos, it's solely about IDI turbos... I will just keep my mouth SHUT and not bring this crap up here.....:rolleyes:

pr0craztinazn

Reaction score
For the turbocharger kits designed for use with your lower-flow pumps such as the Baby Moose, is your target market large enough to consider implementing a wastegated turbo system? Those who are interested in improvements in transient response and under-the-curve flow would greatly benefit from a wastegated setup, and when paired with a twin-scroll setup such as that used in the Hypermax kit, should notice a massive improvement. I can understand that a limited production run of kits may not worthwhile for you, but I am curious to know if you perceive the demand is there for it. I could write out the math to support my point, or you can read it here: http://www.dieselnet.com/tech/air_turbo_fixed.php

Also, for those who are in the camp of "it's untested and thus it isn't worth it to me to think about this," please keep in mind that Mel did everyone a massive favor and posted a compressor map; most manufacturers wouldn't ever do this as they'd consider turbo sizing to be proprietary information (see: ATS, Banks, Hypermax). Use the guide on the Garrett website and do some math for yourself if you think Mel can't size a turbo properly. By my calculations, this is as good as it gets from a commercially available, non-wastegated turbo. If the math says it works, that's proof enough for me; turbocharger sizing calculations have been nailed down since the early '60s and a fair amount of books have been written on this topic. For those who want to figure this out on their own, start here: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbo_tech_expert

Once/if you want head flow numbers to calculate volumetric efficiency, do a search and there are a couple of sets of numbers posted in older threads. The heads flow surprisingly well given their age, so IH definitely had some good engineers working on the IDI project way back when.

In short: I'm hoping Mel can find the time to get an intercooler-ready kit together for those of us who aren't turbocharged already. I'd be happy to place a deposit now if he was at the stage to do so.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Also, for those who are in the camp of "it's untested and thus it isn't worth it to me to think about this," please keep in mind that Mel did everyone a massive favor and posted a compressor map; most manufacturers wouldn't ever do this as they'd consider turbo sizing to be proprietary information (see: ATS, Banks, Hypermax). Use the guide on the Garrett website and do some math for yourself if you think Mel can't size a turbo properly.

Im just going to reply to this bit (and any future readers please ignore my previous post(s) in here it was a REALLY bad day), and Ill also state up front I have no stake in either side of this argument as Im one of those dreamers atm that cant afford to upgrade even though I want to.

We have maps for almost every turbo ever ran on an IDI avalible here including at least 2 of the 3 bolt on kits (ATS/Ford/Banks on first page) along with just about every other turbo people have ever thought of running including Typ4s' upgrade and the new one from Mel (and the one currently being R&D tested by IDIPerformance) from my limited turbo knowledge IF it can spool your right its a decent turbo but with just a DB2 pump that may be a big if.

pr0craztinazn

Reaction score
Im just going to reply to this bit (and any future readers please ignore my previous post(s) in here it was a REALLY bad day), and Ill also state up front I have no stake in either side of this argument as Im one of those dreamers atm that cant afford to upgrade even though I want to.

We have maps for almost every turbo ever ran on an IDI avalible here including at least 2 of the 3 bolt on kits (ATS/Ford/Banks on first page) along with just about every other turbo people have ever thought of running including Typ4s' upgrade and the new one from Mel (and the one currently being R&D tested by IDIPerformance) from my limited turbo knowledge IF it can spool your right its a decent turbo but with just a DB2 pump that may be a big if.
Thanks for the link; I have a lot more reading to do.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't think that the idi is so well! Every engine with just over 25 HP/l will last for miles and miles.
If you bring it up to 70hp/l like a 3l BMW diesel engine it will die soon...

I have 100k hard miles on my turbo IDI , not designed for the turbo. and I expect another 100k. My coworker has over 300k on one and it still runs great and uses little oil, and he pulls trailers, campers , equipment. so on, these engines are a bit overbuilt so they will last a good long time.

jmjc123

Reaction score
Mel:

I am still hoping to order the rest of the hypermax tubing kit for the intercooler I purchased. For your convience I will enclose your Estimate # 1084 on 04/03/2013.

I still am very interested in total package pricing.

My questions now are:

Would my HyperMax intercooling tubing kit work with your new proposed Moose Boost Kit, or would it be better to incorporate your new set up?

Per our previous conversations my main purpose for this 1994 F350 Auto truck is towing my RV. I am also currently looking at a new & larger 5th wheel with a wet weight of around 7500 lbs dry weight. What is your thinking on this?

I am very excited on this set up.

As I understand it you would have the calibrated fuel pump & injectors to go along with this latest offering is this a true stratement?

You have my phone# as well feel free to give me a call if you have a free moment.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There would need to be a slight modification to the Hypermax intercooler tubing to make it work with this new turbo. Since an intake hat change is required, and the Hypermax intercooler piping relies heavily on the convenience of the pass-through hat, I envision some slight re-work. I'd like to apply this turbo to the Moose Truck, but as of yet I have not the time nor funds to dedicate to my personal vehicle. I'm still working on the ATS set up as well. However, I will try to get a Hypermax "kit" with this turbo priced out soon. Thanks everyone, for your patience.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Mel, I wish you continued good luck with this. I can attest that after convoying with the attendees at a couple of rallies, most all of our trucks provide enough fuel to make a turbo of this caliber a good option to consider. I am one also that is watching quietly and diverting my pennies to save up for one of these.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in the crew cab finally. There is no issue lighting this turbo off. Turbine sizing appears spot on! I have been really pleased with it so far. Less soot empty and good power for sure. Need more time and give it a challenge (by hooking the fifth wheel up) to give a full impression. But, my first impression is really really good!

Way busy right now. Will try and post more later. I have no clue how to post pictures from my phone.

Heath

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath is that on a standard (Bull) Moose pump? Thanks so much for the update. Look forward to more info.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath is that on a standard (Bull) Moose pump?

Yes. Standard (Bull) Moose. Moose injector as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Heath

Last edited by a moderator: