Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as many of you may have heard, I announced a new product that Conestoga Diesel Injection is offering to the IDI community. We call it "Moose Boost". As with the Moose product family, there will likely be a few choices in this product line, but the top of the line one is what we are starting with.

You must be registered for see images attach

Above is the proof of concept build that we put together for the 2013 IDI Weekend in Greenfield Indiana, and carted out there in the Moose Tail. It features several significant improvements over other turbochargers that have previously been offered by ATS, Banks, and Hypermax.

This is a Garrett turbocharger featuring oil and water cooling, and dual ball bearings, in the center housing and rotating assembly, with a free floating non-wastegated turbine housing. The compressor shroud is ported to increase resistance to surging. Three exhaust housing A/R's are available. .89, .99, and 1.11. The 88mm compressor wheel has a 52 trim and .72 A/R.

This initial mock up, is based on a Hypermax Pulse Turbo platform, making this turbo an easy upgrade for existing Hypermax turbo users. The T40B mount makes it easy to bolt on. All a Hypermax turbo user needs to do to fit this turbo to an engine, is space the mounting bracket back with 11 washers on longer bolts to provide clearance with the ATS intake hat that would need to be used in place of the Hypermax intake hat. A modification to the Hypermax downpipe is also required to support the easier to use V-Band connection type.

Lets look at some comparisons....

The exhaust housing is only slightly larger than the stock Hypermax turbo.

The compressor housing is where the real difference becomes apparent. The compressor section of this turbo is larger to flow more air. This is needed to develop the full potential of our Bull Moose product. This turbocharger will support up to 350 crank horsepower. Because it is a ball bearing turbo, it will spool earlier, easier, and because of the sizing, the turbo will stay in the 76% island of efficiency throughout the RPM range.

Naturally, your going to ask if the math has been proven. Sadly, the answer is no at this time. In all honesty, I can't afford to own one of these. My margin on these is not very good, because I have priced this turbo under $1500. A price point that I think can be afforded by the IDI community. One of the challenges in bringing a new turbo to market for you, was to find one that could be sold at a price you would pay. A turbo of this quality and performance level should really be in the $1800-$1900 range, but I know I would not sell many of them. Like our other Moose products, we want this to be something that lots of people can afford and use on their trucks. Consequently, I could not use it and resell it as a used turbo and recoup my costs. I'm still struggling to get my new business up to a profitable level that affords some convenience of luxury in owning the things we carry. Fortunately, as you saw from the rally thread, Heath Sutton stepped up to the plate and put his trust in me and bought this unit in its unproven state. He is going to try it on a Banks setup, which means a T3 mount adapter will be needed. This turbo does have a divided housing, so I'm not sure what impact that may have, but I'm hoping the performance difference is negligible. History has shown a willingness by the community to try new and different turbochargers. Many with varying degrees of success. To my knowledge, NO ONE has tried a ball bearing turbo, and no one has included water cooling to afford them the freedom to not have to worry about hot shut downs. The reason for this is simple. This is a TOP OF THE LINE turbo. It is better than a Holset. It is better than a Powerstroke turbo. It is better than what is offered in the kits.

For people looking to add a turbo who do not have one, I will be putting together a package price that includes the Hypermax and ATS components that will be needed to provide a bolt on solution.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Pretty cool and good lookin product! Can't wait for Heath to report. Better than a Holset is a big claim, they are some tough turbos! (While I'm somewhat serious I'm mostly just ribbing ya) :thumbsup:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Drool Be waiting with baited breath. Should be ready for a turbo kit about Christmas time....

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome...im glad to hear your keeping up with what people are looking for...that sounds like it should be a good turbo for the application...especially where these trucks just dont push air like a psd this will help low end spool/tow properties

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
So out of curiosity, this would need to be put on a engine fully "repaired" with the usual ARP studs, gaskets, etc?

Is this a turbo to pull sleds and generate 5000000+ HP/torque, or to pull car trailers up a 6% grade without overboosting the engine?

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this just the turbo itself, or a complete kit?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is sweet looking. I have the factory turbo, and it mounts up a lot different. will this be compatible? I am also curious about mohavewolfpup' question. you say it is water cooled, forgive me because i know next to nothing about turbos, does that mean you route your coolant through it, or a separate water supply? lastly why non-wastegated? i was under the impression that waste-gated was better for everyday driving. sorry for so many questions, just real curious about this new product.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Better than a Holset is a big claim, they are some tough turbos! (While I'm somewhat serious I'm mostly just ribbing ya) :thumbsup:

A fair statement. But also a fair claim. Holset is owned by Cummins, and it's what is on most Cummins engines. However, Holset only has 14% of the turbocharger market according to industry information. When I say it is "Better than a Holset" what I am saying is, our turbo is a turbo that has been specifically chosen for this application. Everybody runs around saying "Ooo... I want a Holset HX35, or I want a Holset this or that". Why? Do you know why they want one? What are the specs? How did a Cummins turbo get this kind of critical acclaim? If you want one, that's fine and dandy. And I don't discourage you from getting one, but KNOW why you want it. Garrett has 55% of the turbocharger market share, according to the same industry source.

Why choose Garrett?

A turbo is a high technology product that requires superior design and intensive capital to produce. It must meet the severe requirement that only a world class manufacturer like Garrett can achieve.

Garrett is one of the few turbo-charging manufacturers that subjects our turbos to several OE qualification tests. These turbocharging "qual tests" ensure Garrett produces a safe and reliable turbo for OE applications. When you buy a Garrett turbo you can be sure it is a reliable one!

On-Engine Durability - A 1,000-hour general turbocharger durability test that is run on-engine in one of Garrett's engineering laboratories. Some engines die before our turbos do!

Gas Stand Cyclic Durability (aka The Non-Sissy Test) - A 500 hour general turbocharger durability test. This is basically a "beat the crap out of the turbo" test. Survive this one and you've got one tough turbo!

Compressor & Turbine Housing Containment - A compressor/turbine wheel is weakened to "hub" burst at a specific speed. No portion of the wheel is allowed to penetrate a "containment shroud" surrounding the turbocharger. A test to ensure safety.

Shaft Motion - The maximum tolerances of the bearing system are tested for rotordynamic stability beyond the maximum turbocharger operating speed. This means no bearing problems and a long turbo life.

Thrust Bearing Capacity - A test that stresses the thrust bearing at extreme conditions. This test makes sure your Garrett turbocharger can tolerate the load you put it through.

Compressor & Turbine Seal - Multiple turbochargers are run on-engine under conditions designed to cause seal leakage. No significant leakage is allowed during these tests.

Heat Soakback - A turbocharger instrumented with thermocouples is taken beyond maximum operating temperature and shut down hard! Repeat the test four more times and make sure maximum temperatures stay within our strict limits to avoid oil "coking" or build up inside the center housing. This is particularly critical for high temperature gasoline applications.

Compressor & Turbine Performance - The entire operating range of both the compressor and turbine are mapped on one of Garrett's "Performance Gas Stands." These test cells are calibrated to strict standards to assure accuracy and consistency.

Compressor & Turbine Blade Frequencies - Garrett has strict requirements for compressor and turbine blade natural frequency. This is critical on large trims where the blade must be stiff enough to withstand potentially damaging vibrations.

Thermal Cycle - A 200-hour endurance test that cycles the turbocharger from low temperature to "glowing red" every 10 minutes. To ensure a long turbo life, no cracking of the turbine housing or distortion of the heat shroud are allowed.

Rotor Inertia - A measurement made to document the rotational inertia of Garrett's compressor and turbine wheels. Garrett's products are known for their high flow / low inertia characteristics.

Shaft Critical Speed - An analytical "test" that ensures that destructive shaft "critical speeds" are well out of the turbocharger operating range. For example, large wheels may require a large shaft diameter to avoid the "shaft bending" critical speed.

Compressor Fatigue - Garrett will not sell compressor or turbine wheel castings that have not passed a strict "test to failure" cyclic fatigue test. Garrett runs tests on a regular basis to ensure quality and to constantly improve our products.

Turbo Vibration - The entire turbocharger is vibrated on Garrett's large shaker table. Vibration levels are monitored to ensure product durability.

A Garrett turbo offers you the best value in terms of quality and competitive price. A quality commitment goes way beyond the manufacture of product. At Garrett, it has to do with the very aspect of business life. Protect your investment today. You can relax, enjoy, and drive with confidence with the knowledge that your Garrett turbo is a reliable turbo.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i was under the impression that waste-gated was better for everyday driving.

you will be far better off using efficient exhaust wheels and compressor wheels to vary you spool speed and overall boost ability, than by sticking a small housing on there and then putting a WG on there like the banks system uses and the ATS 093 system uses. I think that is part of why the previous bolt in systems are so crappy in all reality. yeah they are 100x's better than N/A, but in the world of turbos they flat out suck, they are incredibly inefficient at any decent boost level. now that i think about it i have yet to see a WG'ed hot side used on aftermarket diesels, yes they are out there, but not very common. You will see that a lot of guys run a non-gated housing and then an external WG that connect the up-pipe to the down pipe.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i would recommend an intercooler with any kind of forced induction.

based on the pics that Mel has supplied us with, running IC piping and hooking it to the turbo and the intake mani would be silly easy and would provide for an uber clean routing. Would also make for a nice and easy air intake as well.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as calling the big 3 kits crappy and inefficient Eric.
I've been looking at drive pressures with the 088 system that's intercooled on the dually and as the manifold pressure is increasing, the drive pressure to boost ratios close the gap.
For instance.
At 5 psi manifold pressure, drive pressure is at 7 psi. That's a 1.4:1 ratio.

Now at 10 psi manifold pressure, drive pressure is at 12 psi.
That's a 1.2:1 ratio!

Granted the big 3 kits were designed to keep the engines together, this is new ground and am anxious to see what this turbo can throw down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online