Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may know where there are some ats intake hats.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of work needs done to fit a factory ats .093 kit? With a heavily modified engine will this work good or do you have any other advice for me?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Nothing personal but the fact that your marketing an UNTESTED product is just pure stupidity, running it on a test vehicle (in this case a member bought the kit so you lucked out) is just part of the R&D cost. Frankly the only reason you beat idiperformance.com to the market with a turbo kit is because hes currently running them on multiple test vehicles, including his own (his is for the stock/ATS turbo setup though). Oh and just for the record even with water cooling you still have to worry about hot shut downs, just now you have water and oil to boil/coke vs just oil but they do run a tad lower temp wise.

Now that I got the negative comments out of the way, looks like a good product that should hold up well.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make a good point, apt in a very negative and impolite way. HOWEVER, he does clearly state that it is untested, and explains why. He never claimed it was prefect. Not sure what the warentty is, but I'm sure Mel will make things right in the end.

Frankly I'm impressed that Mel is willing to go this far out on a limb to support what's a pretty small select market. I have no doubt there's already been a lot of money sunk into development, and this will *never* be a large market. So him going to the lengths and risks he already has to support the community deserves a strong thank you from all of us, not an insulting negative post. There's nothing wrong with him marketing an untested unit and being totally honest about that fact. Were he trying to hide it than that would be a different story, but he's not at all. Not sure I'll agree that Garrett is the best turbo there is, but whatever, that's personal opinion.

I'd also submit that water cooling drastically lessens the potential for hot shutdown damage, especially on a diesel that's going to cool at least a bit prior to shutdown - not like a gasser that always has high egts. Unless the plumbing is totally screwed up you should get some convection circulation through the system.

Now, the one question I'm curious about is how different the map on this turbo is than a standard HX35. It looks of similar size to the 35, and while the 35 lacks many of the features, I'd be curious how much better this unit is that the 35.....

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Those are all good points Mel. I chose a Holset because they are tough, it was a fairly easy setup, and Cummins take offs are everywhere for cheap. Oh and it works awesome!

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Or since we run idis that came NA from the factory (most of us) you plug the oil feed for the turbo and bypass it on the intake side and continue on your way as a NA idi :) (something I grumble about everytime Im trying to limp a bus back with a blown turbo)

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing personal but the fact that your marketing an UNTESTED product is just pure stupidity, running it on a test vehicle (in this case a member bought the kit so you lucked out) is just part of the R&D cost. Frankly the only reason you beat idiperformance.com to the market with a turbo kit is because hes currently running them on multiple test vehicles, including his own (his is for the stock/ATS turbo setup though). Oh and just for the record even with water cooling you still have to worry about hot shut downs, just now you have water and oil to boil/coke vs just oil but they do run a tad lower temp wise.

Now that I got the negative comments out of the way, looks like a good product that should hold up well.

could have just said i dont want one

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, first of all this is a free to join site. One of the rules, which I'm sure you've all read are that moderation will occur and it's not something to be questioned. That being said, the reasons for moderation, deletion, eviction, are NOT and will NOT be publicized. Just because you don't know why any of these occur doesn't mean they are unjust or unfair. THOSE are the rules, that being said, this site is also free in another way, it's free to leave if you do not like the way it is moderated or managed. Hopefully that is a clear enough message!

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, thanks for the typical Andersonian response. It really contributes to this thread.cookoo

Anyway, I won't be messing with getting this turbo mounted until AFTER camping season (as said in the rally thread). Not going to have the truck down when we can be using it to haul the camper and have some fun with the family. Once it starts getting cold, I'll put the crew cab in the shop and start messing with it. Should be tweaking the T3 to T4 adaptor on the up pipe, the oil supply/return, and minor adjustments to the IC plumbing. Gonna swap the 15 psi gauge for a 30 psi ISSPRO I bought from Conestoga yesterday. Adding the coolant to the center section appears to be pretty straight forward. I'll update when the time comes. Be patient. I'm in no rush with this....... again, time to camp, not to work on a truck.LOL

This should eliminate my soot issue. The Banks on the truck can't keep up with Moose fuel and I'm tired of cleaning soot off the side of my camper. Plus, the compressor seal is leaking oil into the compressor. I'd rather replace it with a better turbo than rebuild the Banks.

Heath

On Edit: I'd like to find a wategated Banks turbine inlet (up pipe) for mock up purposes. I don't need to keep it forever, just would like to mount it on one of my core IDI's in the shop and use it to get some fitment stuff sorted before mounting it on the rig. Anybody have one or sees one out and about, please let me know.

This is what I need.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's somthing for all to think about you spit that turbo out on the road summer vac. Ouch hole in your pocket gonna hve to order it also, a Hx -35 can be found on any Craigslist an junkyard for cheap an your on your way.

Maybe, but when was the last time you saw a thread here where someone was stuck with a dead turbo? The "can't find a used turbo quickly" argument is much more applicable to the "Big 3" turbo kits on the vast majority of these IDI's. That doesn't seem to deter folks from running them. Try and go to a diesel shop and get a Banks in a pinch. But, most diesel shops are Garrett suppliers (as they are for Holset) and can get you parts or a turbo if needed. Garretts are on a ton of stuff, just not Cummins. I just don't see that as a problem IMHO.;Sweet

Heath

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i'm afraid to ask what a complete kit will cost

while that is a valid question that i am sure agnem will answer let me temper this response... I dont know what Mel's price is but keep in mind that the big three kits (banks,hypermax,ats) were all over $2,000.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while that is a valid question that i am sure agnem will answer let me temper this response... I dont know what Mel's price is but keep in mind that the big three kits (banks,hypermax,ats) were all over $2,000.

while i would love to turbo my truck someday. i just have a hard time spending that kind of money on a truck that I paid $500 for,lol.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mel,

any predictable power levels with this turbo kit, and the omega pump? if we are talking about compleet possible build?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online