Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
while i would love to turbo my truck someday. i just have a hard time spending that kind of money on a truck that I paid $500 for,lol.

quite frankly you have to pay to play. this type of stuff costs money. you might luck out and find a used kit (nothing wrong with that btw) for cheaper....but for new quality parts its well worth it. i only paid $2000 for my truck...but yet i will have more then that into the engine when I'm done. Thats with a turbo kit used off a truck I had owned previously, a good quality injection pump (bull moose from conestoga) and a complete rebuild with new cam,rod, and main bearings, new rings, $650 for a set of reconditioned heads...... still cheaper then a new truck payment!

to use the argument about the initial purchase price is invalid.... a good stereo head unit will cost you half that purchase price...

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree Heath probley won't happen but the thought of it happening an the cost is scary. An yes the 3 big kits are scary in that since an why I'm moving away from it, rebuild an put in safe keeping for somthing later. It does pay to play I can contest to that for sure. But at the point of a single turbo costing so much I would lean towards a cummins swap. For the return of that turbo power wise money wise cummins swap makes more since. Our trucks do what most of us need. Anyway cant wait to see the numbers someday.

would it be awesome to have? yes. can i justify the price with my wife?... hell no.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
mel,

any predictable power levels with this turbo kit, and the omega pump? if we are talking about compleet possible build?

If I'm reading the Compressor Map correct, it wouldn't be a task to reach 20psi which with supporting mods could feasibly make 500+ Horsepower out of an efficient running 7.3 Liter. That's crank horsepower obviously, and is also only theoretically done, not actual numbers I've seen. May be able to get more, may not be able to get that much, a lot has to do with a number of variables, which include, but aren't limited to: Engine Health, Intake Temps, Cam Timing and Design, Injection Pump Timing and Design, Fuel Availability, Altitude, and Exhaust Efficiency.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I have no beef with IDI Performance. I just do my thing and pay no attention to whatever it is they are working on. I really have no idea. Like Scrooge said.... "it's enough for a man to mind his own business. Mine occupies me constantly." LOL If they are developing a turbo, then let them bring it. This was not a race. I've been working on this all winter, and was finally able to put something out there for people to see. Ask Heath. He's been talking to me for months about it, as have some other interested people. I literally took delivery of the turbo the day before we left for Indiana.

Guys, the whole idea behind this one, is it is a BALL BEARING turbo. Until you've held one in your hands, you won't really understand what this means. If you want to compare it to a Holset, HX35 that's fine. But that's a journal bearing turbo. Find one from them that is an equal, and then compare. It's apples and oranges unless you do. I can put a $600 journal bearing turbo up for sale, but then I don't feel it would be special enough to wear the Moose product name. I'm offering you the best I can. Just like our pumps and injectors. I won't settle for less than optimal. I could sell Borg, Switzer or Rotomaster also. In fact, my profit margins are a whole lot better with those. But I chose this one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mel, what do you mean by "having both in your hands to compare????"

Is it about how much easier it spins? I've heard the BB turbos spin much smoother.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its awesome your setting up a ball bearing turbo if the induced is a bit larger it has the benefits of very lil rotational resistance....

Honestly I don't understand why if people have bad things to say about someone instead of using some slang name referring to them you justkeep it to yourselves people are here gathering and giving information why can't it just be peacefully done
Criticism is a necessary thing but doesn't have to be laid out in a cruel or demeaning way...it takes time and money to be able to come up with any type of new product...and honestly anyone spends enough time with these engines would know this turbo is gonna perform han
and foot over the big 3

Thk you for still spending time with these engines

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, what do you mean by "having both in your hands to compare????"

Is it about how much easier it spins? I've heard the BB turbos spin much smoother.

You spin a journal bearing in your hand and it spins for a second or two...you get a good bb turbo in your hands and it will free spin for 7+ seconds

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see a kit price...I finally have a good job and some truly disposable income to save. I can quit fixing things with tape and tie wire, get a good core engine to build from the ground up and do all the stuff I've been reading about on here since 2008 or so...good luck and thanks for the true service you do for the community.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You spin a journal bearing in your hand and it spins for a second or two...you get a good bb turbo in your hands and it will free spin for 7+ seconds

That's what I was thinking he was talking about. Just wasn't sure.
I need to find one just to compare though. I have a hx55 on the shelf I can compare to. LOL

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could read a thread about what the title say, not all the bs. I look at this thread many times a day so I can learn something not how much you pay for your truck (go start a new thread with a title I only payed $500.00 for my truck and I'm to cheap to put tires on it because I only payed $500.00 for the truck and its not worth it) I meen hell if that's what this thread is about I paid $800.00 for mine towed it home never heard it run and and estimate I will have $12,000.00 in it when done. This happens to ever thread on this web site stop the bs and get on with the topic. Every time I call Mel on the phone he is very busy and I don't like taking his time. But he said it dont bother him. But just think how much more he could get done in a day if he could use this thread to educate all of the people that are willing to pay for his products. If you can't aford it why do you even care about the product. Go junk yard shopping and get your used parts and don't leave town.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could read a thread about what the title say, not all the bs. I look at this thread many times a day so I can learn something not how much you pay for your truck (go start a new thread with a title I only payed $500.00 for my truck and I'm to cheap to put tires on it because I only payed $500.00 for the truck and its not worth it) I meen hell if that's what this thread is about I paid $800.00 for mine towed it home never heard it run and and estimate I will have $12,000.00 in it when done. This happens to ever thread on this web site stop the bs and get on with the topic. Every time I call Mel on the phone he is very busy and I don't like taking his time. But he said it dont bother him. But just think how much more he could get done in a day if he could use this thread to educate all of the people that are willing to pay for his products. If you can't aford it why do you even care about the product. Go junk yard shopping and get your used parts and don't leave town.
i understand your pain.
problem is this site attempts to appeal to the guys who are barely hanging on financially rather than the crowd who looks to max-out their parents Visa on a monthly basis. Being a cheapass and dreaming is not illegal though. those who pride keeping their truck on a budget also need to be cognizant not everything talked about here is for the chewing gum and bailing wire crowd. I've thrown more money than I should at my wrecks, but my justification is simple. all of my trucks have a performance and reliability standard I am trying to achieve. Not all will get a new turbo kit, cam kit and intercooler kit. only a choice couple at best. the rest of the fleet runs on used parts turbo kits and IC kits included. if you participate in open conversations long enough, you'll be reached out to by the very few who want to push the envelope. most of the conversation is done by pm or by phone. I am still part of the older performance subculture where we'll talk about some performance stuff in the open, but what's hidden is kept to oneself more often than not.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
i understand your pain.
problem is this site attempts to appeal to the guys who are barely hanging on financially rather than the crowd who looks to max-out their parents Visa on a monthly basis. Being a cheapass and dreaming is not illegal though. those who pride keeping their truck on a budget also need to be cognizant not everything talked about here is for the chewing gum and bailing wire crowd. I've thrown more money than I should at my wrecks, but my justification is simple. all of my trucks have a performance and reliability standard I am trying to achieve. Not all will get a new turbo kit, cam kit and intercooler kit. only a choice couple at best. the rest of the fleet runs on used parts turbo kits and IC kits included. if you participate in open conversations long enough, you'll be reached out to by the very few who want to push the envelope. most of the conversation is done by pm or by phone. I am still part of the older performance subculture where we'll talk about some performance stuff in the open, but what's hidden is kept to oneself more often than not.

Yeah, I remember when some drag racer type released information about degree'ing camshafts! lol Kept me busy in the shop for nearly two years! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7