Installing E pump.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My electric pump arived today.
Here's what I know I need so far and I'm picking up tommorw.
Chevy block off plate from a chevy 454. A inline 5amp fuse
A 4pin relay( not sure what exatly to get tho) I also realize I need to make a bracket.
Have to pick up a few 90 degree bends with barbed ends. And a few feet of 3/8s fuel line.
Is there anything else I'm missing?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
A standard bosch 4 pin relay is all ya need. Any parts store should have one on the shelf. If ya need help as for a horn or fuel pump relay. I would also suggest ordering one (of a few to keep on hand) of these:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Its a common relay pigtail pre-wired. Makes for neat wiring. I would also add an inline fuse holder or fuse-block as pictured, wire loom, zip-ties, some heat shrink wrap and electrical tape.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
If you have to splice into plastic line make sure to get some inserts for the line so you do not crush it when tightening your hose clamps, if you use teflon make sure to keep it off the first few threads and wrap it the correct direction. other than that I think the above post covers the rest

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres what i was able to pcik up today.
i got a role of wire conduit to cover everything when im done.
a inline fuse holder rated for up to 30 amps and a 5amp fue to put it. along with a box of 5 amps fuses to keep in the truck.
and a 4 pin relay. made by bwd. going to return it if napa has the bosh one.
my local autozone did not carry the block off plate and advanced auto wasnt smart enough to find it on there shelfs.
so im going to go intown to hopefully get a diffrent relay. block off plate. and about 5 foot of 3/8s fuel line.

Attachments

• IMG_20120419_110805.jpg
    IMG_20120419_110805.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20120419_110816.jpg
    IMG_20120419_110816.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20120419_111305.jpg
    IMG_20120419_111305.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20120419_110721.jpg
    IMG_20120419_110721.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20120419_084620.jpg
    IMG_20120419_084620.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 25

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit or any hot rod shop will have a nice chrome block off plate. Check the fitment carefully. It is sometimes necessary to grind just a wee bit off the end of the block off plate, where it needs to fit into the slight recess in the block.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit or any hot rod shop will have a nice chrome block off plate. Check the fitment carefully. It is sometimes necessary to grind just a wee bit off the end of the block off plate, where it needs to fit into the slight recess in the block.

Thanks Mel but I just got one from oreilys. Nice shiny edelebrock block off plate.
Man I'm getting pumped for this install.
Only things left now are 3/8s fuel hose and fittings with barbed ends.
On the fitting that goes into the fuel filter I'm hoping to get a 3 way so I can relocate my fuel pressure gauge there.
I'm off to start making a bracket for it now.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use female spade connectors on a bosch style relay if you cant find a prewired socket

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm over complicating this...
Ok the relay has 4 pins(duh) I take a male connector to connect to the outlet of the pump and that goes to one pin on the relay.
Then I take a ground wire and put it to another pin on the relay.
Then a constant power with the inline 5 amp fuse to another pin.
Then finally the last pin goes to fsv am I right here?

Then it's just as simple as pulling mechanical pump off putting block of plate on and attaching fuel lines.

maddenji

Reaction score
Just a thought.
I picked up an inertia switch from a ford station wagon and wired it inline to automatically shut off the fuel in case of a collision.
It's inexpensive to do.
Jim

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought.
I picked up an inertia switch from a ford station wagon and wired it inline to automatically shut off the fuel in case of a collision.
It's inexpensive to do.
Jim
I may just do something along those lines after I get the pump on and know it's working properly.
I was thinking more along the lines of having it stop if oil pressure drops below say 7 psi

gandalf

Reaction score
I think I'm over complicating this...
Ok the relay has 4 pins(duh) I take a male connector to connect to the outlet of the pump and that goes to one pin on the relay.
Then I take a ground wire and put it to another pin on the relay.
Then a constant power with the inline 5 amp fuse to another pin.
Then finally the last pin goes to fsv am I right here?

Then it's just as simple as pulling mechanical pump off putting block of plate on and attaching fuel lines.

I believe there are several ways to hook up the relay. I went through past posts and found five variations, from the four spade connectors.

I THINK this is the way I did it, and was approved by Calvin. The terminals on the relay are numbered, 30, 85, 86, 87.

30--to the battery, with an inline fuse.
85--to ground
86--to ignition (wired in to the FSS on the IP)
87--to the fuel pump

That being said, I'll go out and check on the truck itself, after I have a bit more coffee.

ON EDIT

Disregard what I said above. I looked at the relay itself, and will correct things.

30--to groung
85--to fuel pump
86--to FSS
87--to battery.

As I said, there are a number of ways to wire these things, and most of them seem to work. You just have to pair the right terminals together.

Last edited:

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks gandalf.

Ok last question I have before instal tommorw.
Const power from battery. Best place to splice into for that?
And for the fsv. What's the best way to do that?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
For constant power, I would simply use a ring terminal, and hook into the hot side of the starter relay. For tapping into the FSS, I would use a shim, pull the spade out of the plastic. Then solder onto the back, then put it back together. You can also use a U spade connector to give yourself another spade connection at the IP.

But that's just me...

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks gandalf.

Ok last question I have before instal tommorw.
Const power from battery. Best place to splice into for that?
And for the fsv. What's the best way to do that?

Constant power from the battery-- I too took it from the starter relay on the passenger side fender. For the ignition power from the FSS, as I recall I replaced the spade connector and added the extra wire when I crimped it shut. I did this very carefully because there is not enough extra wire to allow for a mistake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726