A question for Injection Pump rebuilders and experts.

danda

Reaction score
They relativity cheap,why don't you just buy one?
Actually I just bought that exact one last night off ebay. They are cheaper elsewhere, eg $11, but then they tack on $25 shipping for a part that could be sent in an envelope. crazy.

I started this thread for two reasons:

1. To get some info/advice before just throwing money at the problem.
2. Because there doesn't seem to be much info about this check-valve on the internet, so maybe it can help folks down the road. Since this thing seems to be overlooked in the usual discussions about air intrusion, timing, etc.

danda

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Perhaps they did it when installing the Banks Turbo. I wonder if that is/was recommended by Banks.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Good info Black Dawg. Can you expand on "a little weird"... what have you seen?
The things I have noticed are, weird throttle response, engine revs more than what throttle position would normally do (with housing pressure controlling the advance curve). With this comes abnormally noisy combustion due to the advanced timing.
Have also noticed some idle surges.

Try the new part on your truck, you will notice the difference. These dont fail, I have seen them plugged with debris. and I have seen 2 that were missing the guts. I could tell by the way by the way the trucks ran, and knew that was wrong before I pulled the valve.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would it be plugged up with debris?
The Fuel Filter is there to catch krap before it gets to the IP.
I have read in other threads about stuff being in the pump.
For the most part, Ford only has the one spin-on Filter, and a 10 micron as I remember.
You can not have too much filtration, want it to be clean as can be.

My 86 had the Water Trap on the FW next to the Brake Booster, which was by passed when I bought it. Think 86 was last year for it.

I have since installed a Racor FG-500 with a 2 micron filter, mounted where the Cruise thingy is mounted on most truck`s.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
Why would it be plugged up with debris?
The Fuel Filter is there to catch krap before it gets to the IP.
I have read in other threads about stuff being in the pump.
For the most part, Ford only has the one spin-on Filter, and a 10 micron as I remember.
You can not have too much filtration, want it to be clean as can be.

My 86 had the Water Trap on the FW next to the Brake Booster, which was by passed when I bought it. Think 86 was last year for it.

I have since installed a Racor FG-500 with a 2 micron filter, mounted where the Cruise thingy is mounted on most truck`s.

Goat
Some of the early pumps had a part in them, cant remember what it was called, that would come apart.

Plenty of stuff does get through filters, and filters can come apart also.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black dog pretty much nailed everything about that check fitting on all accounts.
There used to be a guy in molalla here grumpy's or something was the name. First thing he told me to do was break the ball out of the fitting.
I never have done it maybe I will test that theory before I remove this pump.