E-fuel pump install, hose route, filter Qs

SultanofNACL

Reaction score
I plan to add an electric fuel pump to my truck, excessive cranking to purge air after sitting is just a drag, and the thought of having to do a filter change on the side of the road sounds bloody awful!
I have a side-by-side relay mount I harvested from the local junkyard to run the pump, and the pump I have in mind is 4-7 PSI and 35 GPH.

I have read https://www.oilburners.net/threads/electric-pump.91673/ and https://www.oilburners.net/threads/e-fuel-pump-hose-splicing.92327/ for hose size and fitting rubber hose onto the stock fuel lines but still have specific questions concerning routing and filter placement.
I was planning to splice into the fuel lines after the selector valve so I can maintain the stock tank supply switching, so the rubber hose would run from the FSV to the E-pump. Should I use a course filter immediately before the pump and then have my 'primary' filter post pump? That would keep the pump cleaner and happier and still let the pump operate in a pusher configuration as it is designed since the coarse filter I intend to use is plenty 'open' enough. I have the first check valve circled in red because it might not be needed, but the second one could be needed there since if the E-pump is nnot needed while driving the mechanical pump can pump through the check valve and the filters.
Also, the consensus and advice is to block off or provide a true bypass of the mechanical lift pump, though I don't intend to do either . . . yet.

Advice on filter placement and routing is appreciated or input from others installation and how well everything runs is appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20230805_233928[1].jpg
    20230805_233928[1].jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 12

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how complex people want to make the fuel system on these trucks. What is wrong with the stock filter it came with in the stock location? What is wrong with putting the e-pump near the stock location? Why would you change to a long piece of rubber fuel line made in China that is going to rot in a couple of years instead of using the stock steel or nylon line from the factory?

Is the fuel you are buying that dirty and full of water that you need one or two more extra filters?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how complex people want to make the fuel system on these trucks. What is wrong with the stock filter it came with in the stock location? What is wrong with putting the e-pump near the stock location? Why would you change to a long piece of rubber fuel line made in China that is going to rot in a couple of years instead of using the stock steel or nylon line from the factory?

Is the fuel you are buying that dirty and full of water that you need one or two more extra filters?
It's simple: if we were "mustang" people we'd do all sorts of dumb stuff to make more fuel go to our engine and more stuff to make more exhaust to come out. But we're poor old Ford/International IDI diesel people, so we fret over just getting fuel to our weird no starting IDIs so we don't kill our over priced batteries. If we were logical we'd have Chevy 350's in everything from our 4 wheelers to our tractors and our vehicles, be they Prius' or trucks. There's a whole world of aftermarket stuff for that engine.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we were logical we'd have Chevy 350's in everything from our 4 wheelers to our tractors and our vehicles, be they Prius' or trucks.
Then you will definitely get a chance to try out your hand signal! :Thumbs Up

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple: if we were "mustang" people we'd do all sorts of dumb stuff to make more fuel go to our engine and more stuff to make more exhaust to come out. But we're poor old Ford/International IDI diesel people, so we fret over just getting fuel to our weird no starting IDIs so we don't kill our over priced batteries. If we were logical we'd have Chevy 350's in everything from our 4 wheelers to our tractors and our vehicles, be they Prius' or trucks. There's a whole world of aftermarket stuff for that engine.
My post contributed nothing to the original poster's question. I just had to vent a little bit. To me it's all a waste of money, but so far we still live in a free country, so buy away if it's still in stock.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously, it's not logical. But there's a certainly a lot more and lot cheaper options for 350s and "LS"s.
Honestly I'm not against the chevy platform. My favorite truck to drive was the 84 k10 I am in the process of a frame off restoration on.

I am not a big fan of swapping across manufacturers though. And I absolutely hate modular block from any manufacturer. If a modular block engine was my only option, I think I would be better off with my horse.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lightly consider just starting to ride one of my horses.
Honestly I'm not against the chevy platform. My favorite truck to drive was the 84 k10 I am in the process of a frame off restoration on.

I am not a big fan of swapping across manufacturers though. And I absolutely hate modular block from any manufacturer. If a modular block engine was my only option, I think I would be better off with my horse.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online