how many coats of hylomar spray?

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many coats of hylomar spray should I spray on the headgasket prior to install. I finally found the spray on amazon.com, just gathering my info before the spray gets here so I can slap this bit**h together.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking. In the old days they had steel shim headgaskets and paint was often used on those. Or coppercoat. But todays headgaskets normally go on as is out of the box

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Hylomar and it works great, seals up a lot more than head gaskets, On head gaskets you make lite coats and let it tack up about 3/4 minutes, then spray another light coat till the whole gasket is blue, the little spray cans you buy will do about 4 head gaskets both sides, use it carefully, much better than copper coat.

The Hylomar never dries so like on motorcycle parts I can remove a cover and replace without re spraying more product,

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we have the classic

Some Don't do it....

Some DO do it....

Poor fellow, what's he to do now ROFL....mixed messages....

Hmm...I"m thinking about this stuff, but I've never in my life used anything but HG as it comes out of the box! Hmm...oh the dilemma...whats a guy to do????

:popcorn

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
RLDSL used it with the Victor Reinz head gaskets and never had issues. He has used it for many years on all kinds of European engines too. I have not seen him online here is some time. I personally have not used it. now what can you do about using it and how much. Using nothing will work fine. Using this may even improve the sealing surface of the gaskets. Can it ruin the gaskets. I'm not thinking so. Can I tell you just do it.. Nope but only because I have no experience using it. Do I feel its a good idea to use it. Sorry but thats a yes and no answer. I feel vulnerable telling someone to do something I have not done. Would I do it on my next built.. Yes but I sure would report on the outcome too. Sadly that can take time you probably don't have.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have used Hylomar with great results, Originally I had an oil leak on a 351W with Cometic multi layered head gasket that I could not solve, a can of Hylomar and problem solved.
So I now keep a can for any performance application I am faced with fixing...

Attachments

• phonepics2012 011.jpg
    phonepics2012 011.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 156

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K reading about this on n off last couple days, there is PRO's n CON's to both sides.

I'm going to contact my gasket VENDOR/MAKER and inquire as to use of spray and what THEIR thoughts are to get a good solid opinion on the matter at hand. In my mind they, should know best!

MLS some say yes...now I'm reading NO...

steel core, graphite surface some say yes...some say no...but like hair cuts, the WWW is full of a mixed bag of info, thus go straight to the source I am.

Al

E D I T...email I sent to Victor Reinz just now as that is the current set coming to me

Hello,
I'm very very curious as to what you as a manufacturer of head gaskets has to say about the use of additional spray on coatings like Hylomar or Copper coat on your head gaskets.

Specifically I'm most interested in my application on a 1992 Ford F 350 diesel with the 7.3 L Indirect injection engine. Also the same info for the older 6.9L engine as well. My set is HS5869 Victor Reinz, if that is of any help.

Do you recommend it or suggest it or do you say no to any additional coatings like hylomar and or copper coat .

I am doing a reseal on a used engine, as I want to inspect it prior to install and would like your suggestions as to what to do before I begin.

Thank you in advance for your time.

I then called Fel Pro, 1 248-354-7700 and asked them what they suggest for their product, as there was no email that I saw for tech.

First response was FOLLOW the engine/truck manufactures repair manual procedure, when questioned further as to no manual available or don't have one then the response for XXYY year etc .... example....

92 F350 IDI 7.3 head gasket... Do Not Spray.

I will await the response to my email for the VR set I've got coming.

Thanks for reading

Al

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K reading about this on n off last couple days, there is PRO's n CON's to both sides.

I'm going to contact my gasket VENDOR/MAKER and inquire as to use of spray and what THEIR thoughts are to get a good solid opinion on the matter at hand. In my mind they, should know best!

steel core, graphite surface some say yes...some say no...but like hair cuts, the WWW is full of a mixed bag of info, thus go straight to the source I am.

Al

E D I T...email I sent to Victor Reinz just now as that is the current set coming to me

Hello,
I'm very very curious as to what you as a manufacturer of head gaskets has to say about the use of additional spray on coatings like Hylomar or Copper coat on your head gaskets.

Specifically I'm most interested in my application on a 1992 Ford F 350 diesel with the 7.3 L Indirect injection engine. Also the same info for the older 6.9L engine as well. My set is HS5869 Victor Reinz, if that is of any help.

Do you recommend it or suggest it or do you say no to any additional coatings like hylomar and or copper coat .

I am doing a reseal on a used engine, as I want to inspect it prior to install and would like your suggestions as to what to do before I begin.

I then called Fel Pro, 1 248-354-7700 and asked them what they suggest for their product, as there was no email that I saw for tech.

First response was FOLLOW the engine/truck manufactures repair manual procedure, when questioned further as to no manual available or don't have one then the response for XXYY year etc .... example....

Thanks for reading

Al

Sooner or later you should realize the manufactures don't give a crap what you are doing, they will never give you reliable info.

Research and Development is the name of the game.

Sometimes you just have to screw up yourself so you can answer your own questions and drink beer drowning your sorrows away of research funds you spent...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooner or later you should realize the manufactures don't give a crap what you are doing, they will never give you reliable info.

Research and Development is the name of the game.

Sometimes you just have to screw up yourself so you can answer your own questions and drink beer drowning your sorrows away of research funds you spent...
You DON"T think I don't do my own, OUTSIDE THE BOX testing?

Now that's friggen funny ass ***** that is...as Gary said!

Sorry but I'm one who will push ***** as far as possible in the name of *** does this button do syndrome!!! or what does this mod do...

Like buying oil and freezing it for two days for a pour test, then taking that and burning it off ina hot pan...just to see what it does..!

There are other things too...drilling out jets ina carb when no jets are available,

floating my ZF 5sp cause people say it CANNOT be done! yes...YES IT CAN!

All kinds of ***** I do that's well sometimes....just plain outside the box...no fuel pump.. no problem, siphon from the 5 gallon fuel can strapped onto the hood into the carb and drive down the hiway at 55 miles n hour to get to work...

Ya I'm rolling like that!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You DON"T think I don't do my own, OUTSIDE THE BOX testing?

Now that's friggen funny ass ***** that is...as Gary said!

Sorry but I'm one who will push ***** as far as possible in the name of *** does this button do syndrome!!! or what does this mod do...

Like buying oil and freezing it for two days for a pour test, then taking that and burning it off ina hot pan...just to see what it does..!

There are other things too...drilling out jets ina carb when no jets are available,

floating my ZF 5sp cause people say it CANNOT be done! yes...YES IT CAN!

All kinds of ***** I do that's well sometimes....just plain outside the box...no fuel pump.. no problem, siphon from the 5 gallon fuel can strapped onto the hood into the carb and drive down the hiway at 55 miles n hour to get to work...

Ya I'm rolling like that!
You roll like that cuz ur a freaking Canadian! LOL! :p

and what the hell is floating a ZF? I don't get it I am only "HALF" Canadian!

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to hear what VR comes back to you with. I would have guessed the negative answer from Fel Pro since they have the Perma-seal design they're so proud of. I don't think they'd want to cast doubt on its sealing ability even if the coating was a good idea.

VR is a more traditional gasket, IMO, so it should be informative to get their input.

Al

Hello,

Thanks for reading

Al

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
You roll like that cuz ur a freaking Canadian! LOL! :p

and what the hell is floating a ZF? I don't get it I am only "HALF" Canadian!

Also known as speed-shifting. Only using the clutch to get you rolling then you time your seed and RPMs and slide your shifter between gears without touching the clutch pedal.
I'm on the boat that says this causes unnecessary wear on your tranny, but it's damn good to know how when your clutch's hydraulics (or cable or linkage) fail when you are on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828