I'M BACK!!!! Rehabilitation of Benny

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also have been working on hand polishing out the numerous dents. Not having too much luck, but the hazy paint is brightening up. ;Sweet First stage with a medium cut is complete. Picture below doesn't show it real well, but the red looks less pink now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also have installed the coolant catch can. It was a pain to get the hardware in the tight space, but it is done. I now see I need to replace my radiator cap as it isn't holding the fluid.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I tackled the hole in the back corner of the bed. There apparently had been an eye type anchor that got ripped out.

I did my best to patch it up with a new piece of sheet metal. Welds came out ugly, I think I had some type of contamination, but I am confident it will hold the new eyelet anchor I plane to put in. Especially with a big fender washer on the backside.

Then I cleaned up the bed and prayed on a coat of Rustoleum textured bedliner. I used three cans and to be honest probably need two more.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finished up the bed liner with three more cans. Seems to have covered well. Will see how it holds up.

I also got one side polished with the fine polish and then put a coat of wax on. I’m actually impressed by the improvement.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice color combo, don`t see that often.
Bed came out looking much better.

My 86 has a thick rubber coating in the bed
and along the top of the rail`s. Must have
been put on when new.
Then there is the rubber bed mat on the floor,
probably a Ford option from back in the day.

Goat

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Goat!
Those rubber mats are great. My brown 87 had one, kept the bed looking great.
This truck has seen some hard use, but it has character.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Tristan
That paint job looks amazing for it's age. You sure it was even used as a truck in it's life?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tristan
That paint job looks amazing for it's age. You sure it was even used as a truck in it's life?
:thanks:
It has signs of truck like usage. That picture just doesn't show the abused areas... both back corners of the bed, the drivers door etc. The paint was also very oxidized, the red looked more pink. I have been hand polishing it, lot's of work but worth it after seeing these results!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Goat!
Those rubber mats are great. My brown 87 had one, kept the bed looking great.
This truck has seen some hard use, but it has character.
I might have posted this in the "What did you do to your truck today" Thread....but I hauled 19 loads of rock a few months back to fix our muddy road to the house from all the tons of snow dumped on us this year.

15 loads of 3/4" crush rock, 3 loads of 1 1/2" crushed rock and one load of Asphalt grindings. 1 1/2 yards each load, so 3K LBS ea load except for the grinds must have been 4 or more.....that stuff is HEAVY.

Shoveled off the Rubber Mat, and it didn`t even show any wear for a abuse I gave it.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online