I'M BACK!!!! Rehabilitation of Benny

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am fairly sure I found the vibration that has been driving me crazy. I really felt it in the accelerator pedal. It really got me thinking when I would take a hard right turn and it seemed to go so suddenly silent that I thought the motor shut off. Worried me enough the first time or two that I checked the wire to the IP shutoff. Now I get the fun of removing the Y-pipe to make some more room between it and the cab.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure. That is just a little farther down the priority list.
Hey, you only need 4X2 to drive the truck. :Thumbs Up
Now I get the fun of removing the Y-pipe to make some more room between it and the cab.
That would certainly cause the vibration. Maybe you can try lifting the cab up a little instead of removing the Y pipe?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, you only need 4X2 to drive the truck. :Thumbs Up

That would certainly cause the vibration. Maybe you can try lifting the cab up a little instead of removing the Y pipe?
Damn! That’s a great idea. Wish I had read this before tackling it this afternoon…. Oh well it is almost put back together.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is fully put back together after creating some clearance between the y-pipe and cab. Went for a test drive and wow what a difference! Very smooth now and much more pleasant to drive.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress has been made. I ordered a thermocouple and new cable from Isspro to get the EGT gauge functional. Manifold has been drilled and tapped. All is installed and seems to be functioning correctly.
Got a Maxtow coolant temperature gauge installed in the factory spot in the head and moved the factory gauge up to the port on the water pump to keep it functioning.
The front driveline and transfer case shifter have been cleaned up and installed. 4x4 seems to work fine, but I couldn’t get it to shift into 4-high. Maybe I need to loosen up the bolts and adjust the bracket a bit. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I had previously added in a nylon line to the boost gauge to get it functional. Forgot to mention this.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T-case won't go into 4hi or 4lo? 4hi is the first click back.

If you are meaning 4lo it is probably that pain in the ass shifter. If I remember correctly after you push down to get into neutral you then have to pull up on the shifter to get into 4lo. Lube the crap out of the part where the shifter slides up and down.

I remember yanking the shifter knob off my 95 every time I had to put it in 4lo.

James

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T-case won't go into 4hi or 4lo? 4hi is the first click back.

If you are meaning 4lo it is probably that pain in the ass shifter. If I remember correctly after you push down to get into neutral you then have to pull up on the shifter to get into 4lo. Lube the crap out of the part where the shifter slides up and down.

I remember yanking the shifter knob off my 95 every time I had to put it in 4lo.

James
It doesn't want to stop in 4 high. From 2WD it won't go back far enough to hit 4HI without pushing down, then it goes right to neutral.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had one do that. But I have never installed one of that style either.

Might try loosening the mounting bolts and see if there is enough slack in the holes to twist lower part of the plate towards the front of truck some.

Only other suggestion I have is to make sure there isn't any slack in those 2 plastic retainer bushings on the linkage.

James

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might try loosening the mounting bolts and see if there is enough slack in the holes to twist lower part of the plate towards the front of truck some.
This is what I am thinking, will try as soon as I get done with the rear brakes...

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear brake shoes are replaced, caught it just before the rivets started gouging the drums. While I was in there I removed the air bags since they really weren’t doing much good…. See picture below.
I loosened up the transfer case shifter bracket and pryed it forward. The shifter goes a bit farther into 4-hi and the light comes on, but it doesn’t seem to be enough. Need to play with that some more.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. The 4x4 shifting seems to be sorted out, will be able to test some this weekend on gravel roads.
I replaced the tach sensor so now have a working tachometer :thumbsup:
The PO had stuffed some 6x8 speakers into the doors which have been shorting or something on the door metal causing the stereo to go into protection mode. After f'ing with them and having short term success to then just have protection mode come back I just unplugged the from speakers until I can replace them with some suitable 6.5in. I'm tired of taking the door panels on and off.
Both front bed bolts have told me they are loose, by the clang when hitting good bumps. Had to weld nuts on the top side to get them loose and will be replacing them with eye bolts for some extra tie down spots.
I took the grill off to inspect the issue with the headlights. The mounts are all broken, so will have to replace those.
I think that's about it for now. Hope everyone had a good 4th!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online