Gear Rubbing Inside of Manual Hub

screwhead

Reaction score
1993 F250 7.3 NA with Dana 50 and manual locking hubs.

I just replaced rotors, calipers, brake pads, and bearings/races. When I put the hub back together on the passenger side the larger gear that is inside the hub body/ backed by a spring and held in by a small Phillips screw is rubbing and making a clipping noise whenever I turn the rotor. The driver side has no noise whenever turned. I think it is from that gear being pushed out too much but am not sure what would cause that or how to fix it. I called Warn and they suggested using less grease so I took it apart, cleaned, put back together but it did not help.

Passenger side was installed wrong by one the the PO’s, lock ring with the nipple was installed last and out. Also used two different types of hub seals on driver and passenger side which threw me for a loop. Maybe that has something to do with it? Picture below is from before initial tear down.
I figured I’d wiped it down and put it back together again but wanted to see if y’all have any ideas. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 1DA8678B-22AA-4D53-91A6-1F52AA290A37.jpeg
    1DA8678B-22AA-4D53-91A6-1F52AA290A37.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

screwhead

Reaction score
Also only makes this noise when turning the hub/rotor backwards, whenever turning forward there is no noise.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the needle bearing inside the inner side of the spindle that supports the half shaft? If not reach around and see if there is any up and down movement in the axle shaft.

James

screwhead

Reaction score
@Rdnck84_03 There is definitely some play in the axle shaft/knuckle. I figured it was the u joint. It is much worse on the driver side though, one with no noise when turned. Was going to replace that when I can purchase tools for it. So there is a third bearing on the inside side of dust cover?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7