Cup holders

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a combination of sweat, grease, and dirt. It's just my style..... and it's a testimont to superior wood choice. That's swamp cypress without stain or varnish in the tow truck and #2 pine with a natural stain in the dually.

Man, you can cut one down to a sutmp and it still wont die. I had one get split in half by a storm and that is whats leff. It keeps having branches grow off it, so can see reason that it dose not need varnish.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you can cut one down to a sutmp and it still wont die. I had one get split in half by a storm and that is whats leff. It keeps having branches grow off it, so can see reason that it dose not need varnish.

I though both trees that fell during that storm where cypress, what growing back is trying to prove me wrong and the other came out with part its ball that had to get filled with dirt. Over the past 4 or some thing years, many things have been poured on this that killed the foliange. But what ever this is keeps coming back, the stump is not rotting away tho.

You must be registered for see images

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got lost in pavement 15 I think.

Cupholders: there's a dude 3d printed Ford parts that makes cupholders for our trucks. I have one and it fits with bench and stick shifter.

Bees: I've had bees for a few years now, the mites are definitely killing the backyard beekeeping hobby, it's a lot of work! I help with our class every year and we teach more about the biology of varroa than bees!

German cars: I can combine this with cupholders! Bonus points!?! One of the biggest things that cracks me up about the early 2000s german cars is they felt pressure to add cupholders to cars for American sales. They are the smallest flimsiest things the e38s I flip all seem to be built around their car phones

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
To add insult to injury, the early 2000's vw's used a dash mount cupholder that used a spring loaded claw to hold them in place. Your initiation of driving a vw of that era was taking either a big gulp or a coffee to the lap on a hard turn.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cupholders: there's a dude 3d printed Ford parts that makes cupholders for our trucks. I have one and it fits with bench and stick shifter.

Bees: I've had bees for a few years now, the mites are definitely killing the backyard beekeeping hobby, it's a lot of work! I help with our class every year and we teach more about the biology of varroa than bees!

German cars: I can combine this with cupholders! Bonus points!?! One of the biggest things that cracks me up about the early 2000s german cars is they felt pressure to add cupholders to cars for American sales. They are the smallest flimsiest things the e38s I flip all seem to be built around their car phones
I basically lost all my bees to varroa a few years ago. I'm really hoping to get back into them next spring.

Cupholders.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My service truck does not have… cupholders. Which is unfortunate because I have been driving the hell out of it…

@Danielle do you have a link as to where one could acquire said 3D printed cupholder?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000s german cars is they felt pressure to add cupholders to cars for American sales.
Yeah...and what will usually happen is some sugary drink will wind up spilling down into the 'manual lever position sensor' and short it out and cause all sorts of 'electronic' transmission problems....and it is never cheap to figure out or fix....

The driver would never figure that they caused the failure and consequently never alert the mechanic to the possibility that the problem could be coming from the floor shifter area....

That reminds me of a short story...

I was helping a woman fix up her car (toyota corrolla wagon..)to sell so she could get a 'real' car...namely an AMC Eagle...(this was back in the 80's..) and I figured that I would pull the seats and vacuum the carpet 'real' good....

Well...I found a pile of funny--looking purple crusty stuff...down on the trans tunnel...and I am scratching my head and half out loud exclaiming..."W.T.F. is this crap...??!!"...

She looks at what I am puzzling about and laughs...'Oh...one time I was drunk on wine...and I leaned over and threw up between the seats..."

I hadda take a wire brush and break up the stuff to get it outta there....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...and what will usually happen is some sugary drink will wind up spilling down into the 'manual lever position sensor' and short it out and cause all sorts of 'electronic' transmission problems....and it is never cheap to figure out or fix....

The driver would never figure that they caused the failure and consequently never alert the mechanic to the possibility that the problem could be coming from the floor shifter area....

That reminds me of a short story...

I was helping a woman fix up her car (toyota corrolla wagon..)to sell so she could get a 'real' car...namely an AMC Eagle...(this was back in the 80's..) and I figured that I would pull the seats and vacuum the carpet 'real' good....

Well...I found a pile of funny--looking purple crusty stuff...down on the trans tunnel...and I am scratching my head and half out loud exclaiming..."W.T.F. is this crap...??!!"...

She looks at what I am puzzling about and laughs...'Oh...one time I was drunk on wine...and I leaned over and threw up between the seats..."

I hadda take a wire brush and break up the stuff to get it outta there....
Yuck!....... cupholders.......

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Dang, 63$ for a 3d printed plastic cup holder...im in the wrong business... Maybe ill start making my moulded wood arm rest with integrated cup holders for the center of the bench seat.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It survived being left on the roof and falling into driveway haha

I always gotta learn the hard way...this helmet was brand new-never been used and I hadda go and put it on the roof of 'Ol One-Ton facing the sun to charge it up...little did I know at that moment that in a few minutes I needed to move the truck...

Just this morning The Girl was looking for her phone and I spotted it on the roof of her car...she had driven with it there about a quarter-mile....

Somebody left their coffee thermos on one of our trailers and I hooked up to the thing and went careening down the driveway...The Girl spotted it and rescued it before it got squashed...

Come to think of it...we are never gonna learn...

Gotta be a cupholder deficit...

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0107.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0107.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_0106.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0106.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 8

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Be happy it wasnt one of the high $$$ ones. I might shed a tear if one of my team ran over their optrel. Thatd be 800$ down the tubes right there.

Does this mean we need to develop "hood holders" for the welders out there with mobile rigs? Special oversized hangars in the cab?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My mid 80s E24 didn’t even have cup holders. Instead, you had a cooler between the rear seats with a molded liner to secure 3 cans of beverage while you were putting the car through its paces. Germans took motor vehicle safety very seriously, even back then so they didn’t want to condone driving with an open drink within reach of the driver. That’s why you had to pull over at one of those scenic rest stops, drink those three cans of perfectly chilled beer (3 drink limit), THEN continue burning down the “bahn” at 100mph. Safety first!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online