Champion Radiators for the IDI

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did indeed jinx myself in post 116 above. -cussThe replacement Champion radiator is now leaking in the same exact location as the previous one - the core to tank joints in the lower left side. I noticed a few drips of coolant on the driveway yesterday, and started searching. Sure enough! I can only conclude that Champion has a quality control problem with the brazing in that corner of the radiator. I guess this is it for me - no more Champions. Not sure yet where I will go form here - may just try a parts store radiator now.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I did indeed jinx myself in post 116 above. -cussThe replacement Champion radiator is now leaking in the same exact location as the previous one - the core to tank joints in the lower left side. I noticed a few drips of coolant on the driveway yesterday, and started searching. Sure enough! I can only conclude that Champion has a quality control problem with the brazing in that corner of the radiator. I guess this is it for me - no more Champions. Not sure yet where I will go form here - may just try a parts store radiator now.
Wow. That sucks. I’ll be taking a rad to John at bell intercoolers this week, so I’ll be starting a thread for a group buy soon if you’re interested.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That sucks. I’ll be taking a rad to John at bell intercoolers this week, so I’ll be starting a thread for a group buy soon if you’re interested.

I may be interested! I may just throw in my old 3 row Champion for now and then I could wait out the time it takes for the group buy to develop. Depends a lot on the price point too. The equivalent Mishimoto radiator is $412.50 with free shipping. Not sure those are any better though:dunno.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For the 7.3 and IDI radiators, I can't say. I know 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 people are seeing issues with the mishimoto.
Doubt anyone of y'all are into the 6.2/6.5 world, but the equivalent of Mel but for gm (Leroy diesel) tried being a vendor for them. The first few orders didn't even go right, so he pulled the plug.
It seems maybe they were bought out or something. Might still be worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 7.3 and IDI radiators, I can't say. I know 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 people are seeing issues with the mishimoto.

I have been reading reviews on line on the Mishimoto and your right, Jasper - the reviews ain't looking all that great. I wonder if the Champion 4 row cores are the problem. Maybe they just aren't getting the 4 row core brazed well enough because it is a thicker core? My 3 row never leaked at the core - it appears to be weeping from a pinhole in the weld on the top tank which maybe I can have tigged shut.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to hear the above report of replacement Champion now leaking because I installed replacement Champion over the weekend. Packaging was much better this time, received with zero damage. Dang they look robust / beefy. Sure hope this one doesn't leak! Also replace AC condenser at the
You must be registered for see images attach
same time.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked inside and it was clean as a whistle! In fact it was so clean at first I thought it was a five core rad instead of four. The interior wall acted like a mirror reflecting the adjacent core giving the false appearance of another core. No sign of anything ever being inside. It was clean and nothing "dribbled" out when the plugs were removed. So far, mine has not leaked......

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the ones I have gotten are clean and dry inside too. Even if they did pressure test them, it seems to take a bit before they start leaking, at case. I hope Catbird's new 4 core works great with no leaks!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess they could test it with compressed air, but it would sure be nice to see a liquid test that brings the rad to temp:dunno

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leaker I had did not leak when sitting "cold" or even driving down the road. Only shutting down engine following a complete warm-up. At first I thought it was coming out of the over flow, after closer inspection it was spraying out between cores and lower tank on driver side.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a difficult task, the manufacturer should be responsible for testing their product for being reliable, not the buyer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well yeah.
But then they'd have to raise the price.
I have to leak test the hydraulic and fuel tanks in building.
But these also ain't no couple hundred dollar machines. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk