Champion Radiators for the IDI

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a Champion, although quite possibly made in the same factory in China... Autozone sells Spectra (aluminum) rads for $210 and with the current 20% discount on online ship-to-home it's $168, free ground shipping, with a limited lifetime warranty. Any experience with those?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been reading thread n has be thinking about how long or how make miles should we change the radiator on these trucks my 93 7.3 idi auto 2wd has 155k miles on it n I'm the 3rd owner have not traced any other things back but do know my father in law changed all gp's n wired n basic stuff 2 yrs before I got it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Radiator isn't something you just change, unless it's leaking, or has a ton of buildup that won't come out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The IDI one appears to be thicker. Also has to have the cap, as the PSD one doesn't. I'm sure that adds cost.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a plastic tank radiator, in a pinch had to keep on road as it's my daily and just swapped core supports at same time from wide radiator to narrow to make radiators cheaper easier to find and my intercooler will fit now!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's only 60$ more than I paid for my plasticy one! But I couldn't wait, truck was pouring coolant everywhere

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark-up another one in the failure column! Mine just started leaking where cores intersect bottom tank, it was purchased in Aug of 2015 (4-core). Warranty says "covered" so long as original purchaser owns. I called seller (in California) who confirmed it's covered by warranty and gave me a return number. Here comes the kick in the "****", return UPS shipping costs from PA to CA is just shy of $100.00. Seller inquired about coolant I used which was Fleet Charge. He asked what color it was, Fleet Charge is purplish and he claimed that could be reason for failure. He advised using green coolant??? Does anyone make "green" coolant with pre-charged SCA? Champion Rad box states "Must use glycol based coolant", Fleet Charge is glycol base??? Is there an issue with coolants that are not "green"?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about these problems with aluminum radiators. I haven't placed my hands on one, but they seemed to be well made in the photos.

As it just so happens, I saw a copper rad on CL a few days ago and decided to snap it up this evening. I don't need it yet, but it gives me peace of mind if I ever do.