Cetane ratings

J.P.

Reaction score
I thought I would post a couple of comments that I sent out to Chevron and Velero regarding the Cetane ratings of their Diesel, the question I asked was, what is the Cetane rating of your Diesel in the So. California Desert/high Desert area? and these are the responses.
Chevron:
Dear
Thank you for your inquiry,
Cetane and lubricity requirements are as follows:

The minimum cetane number for retail diesel fuels is 40 . This is based on the ASTM test method D613, The Standard Test Method for Cetane Number of Diesel Fuel Oil. The average cetane number for Chevron diesel fuels sold in the U.S. is around 45. In California the average cetane rating can be as high as 50.

Chevron can only guarantee the product specifications. Diesel that is sold at Chevron and Texaco retail gas stations in the U.S. meet ASTM D975, Standard Specifications for Diesel Fuels Oils.

Regards,

Chevron Fuels Technical Services

Velero:
Thank you for your inquiry. The cetane rating for your area is 40. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,

Valero Customer Relations

I just thought this was interesting.......

Last edited:

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Maybe that explains .....

Maybe that explains why Chevron diesel is about 20% higher
than comparable diesel prices ...... :rolleyes:

Jim

J.P.

Reaction score
Thats true but when both my tanks were down I had a discount card for Chevron so I filled up, could be my imagination but within 5 miles the engine seemed to quiet down and run stronger, thats what got me started on emailing them. Since its a motorhnome it does'nt go out much, I was about 40 miles from home so did'nt get to go very far, we will see next trip how it does, power and mileage wise, could be worth the higher price we'll see....

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats true but when both my tanks were down I had a discount card for Chevron so I filled up, could be my imagination but within 5 miles the engine seemed to quiet down and run stronger, thats what got me started on emailing them. Since its a motorhnome it does'nt go out much, I was about 40 miles from home so did'nt get to go very far, we will see next trip how it does, power and mileage wise, could be worth the higher price we'll see....
I have had three diesels and all of them ran quieter on the higher-cetane fuel (I can't say that I saw an increase in economy from it, however, the fuel mileage seemed to stay about the same regardless of the fuel).

Edit: Oh, and I'm a "JP" too!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had three diesels and all of them ran quieter on the higher-cetane fuel (I can't say that I saw an increase in economy from it, however, the fuel mileage seemed to stay about the same regardless of the fuel).

Edit: Oh, and I'm a "JP" too!

thats because your running an old school diesel.
the better the fuel (higher cetane) the quieter the engine will become,because you can now send the fuel in a little bit sooner to fire.advance the timing.
so in other words,had you a lumy timing meter,and you drove on low quality fuel with proper timing,then filled up with higher cetane fuel,then drove down the road a mile or two until you heard her start to quite down,hopped out and advanced the timing back up to match this fuel,you would have then noticed the fuel economy and performance increase.:thumbsup:

if one of the three diesels was more modern engine,like a psd.did you actually record the fuel economy difference between two known different cetane fuels for about 5 back to back tanks each?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i use,the 6.
lumy timing degree's work backwards from the pulse timing.with pulse timing,the higher the number,the more advanced.with lumy timing,the lower the number,the higher the advance.
this has confused a few people iv noticed.i once went to 3 degree's ATDC because when i first got my meter these were the types of numbers being thrown around (even less actually,like 1-2! i certainly didn't need to go any further to know she was wicked advanced.)
those with lumy meters.do yourself a huge favor and follow that chart Mel posted so you don't have an engine that sounds like the lifters and wrist pins are going to fly out of her.:D

J.P.

Reaction score
Just thought I would update this a bit, I had sent the same E mail to Pilot/Flying J, here is their response;
Dear Mr.

Thank you for taking time to email me with your concern. Sir, In California, the cetane rating is 47-48.

Thank you for your interest in Pilot Flying J.

Sincerely,
Jerilyn Majors
PFJ Customer Service

I sent this to 76, which is Conoco/Phillips in Calfornia, I actually got a phone call from their Rep. and at their stations Cetane is 50-52 with additional lubricity additives. I ended up talking with him for 10-15 minutes about various additives that their fuel has as far as lubricity and the we should not need to add if we are using 76 fuel. I asked about Cetane boost and he told me that there is only one chemical that will boost Cetane and if the product we are using does not have it it will not actually increase Cetane, unfortunatly I did not write it down, it was something like Ethylbenesene, maybe someone here knows exactly what chemical it is. Anyway I have so far been suprised at the responses I have received from these companys

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my timming fairly high and Man the difrence between california and nevada diesel is noticeable. The diesel in nevada is mostly lower cetain.

I find the responses you got a bit odd because last I checked california required a minimum cetain rating of 50. I also find it very odd that they responded to you at all as much smaller companies who have a smaller cliant base and need every customer they can get will quite frequintly ignor product inquiries and I doubt any of the fule companies would notice if you started filling up at the compettitor.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your questions obviously got to some folks who are into either diesels or customer service.

On the other hand, I went into a premier high end off road engine builders shop in LasVegas and was treated with the utmost courtesy and respect.

Sat there while the owner fielded some calls asked the needed questions and was pointed to the shop area as he had to take another call. I mentioned the treatment and the machinist said the philosophy was the guy may come in dressed in bib overalls covered in drywall mud, pain, grease but you never know if he is gonna spend 50.00 or lay down 30k plus for a full on build.

Maybe the oil companies thought you were a potential large buyer.

Last edited: