“The 6.9” project thread

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Were those from a 250 or a 350?

Is there a tag on them, or could you see the door tag? On the 250’s and Excursions they used a monobeam D-50 (what I have). It is still a strong axle. My son had his 96 F-350 with a D-60 sitting next to my Excursion, and comparing them, they are similar in size and build.

I know Ford did use a D-60 also… so that is why I was wondering. Either way, you got a good deal on that axle. Just make sure which one you have, because at least some of the parts are different between the two….

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen scrounging salvage yards and classifieds the OBS Dana 60 is like gold compared to the newer Super Duty axles. Probably because they're becoming so hard to find. Super Dutys are everywhere in junk yards. OBS F350s not so much.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is there a tag on them, or could you see the door tag? On the 250’s and Excursions they used a monobeam D-50 (what I have). It is still a strong axle. My son had his 96 F-350 with a D-60 sitting next to my Excursion, and comparing them, they are similar in size and build.

I know Ford did use a D-60 also… so that is why I was wondering. Either way, you got a good deal on that axle. Just make sure which one you have, because at least some of the parts are different between the two….
Is your excursion coil sprung?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just confirmed it, I knew it but I hadn’t really read it anywhere lol. The coil spring axles are Dana 60’s, I think they’re actually called “super 60’s”. I wouldn’t mind a Dana 50, I was actually going to get one before I found this.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My Excursion is leaf... Ford never put coils under an Excursion, even in 05, which is when the pickups switched to coils. 05 was the last year of the Excursion and they never made the switch. They did change the grille and headlights to match the 05 trucks, not sure on the dash, cause I think Ford changed the instrument cluster in the 05-07 trucks... not sure if they did in the Excursion.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Excursion is leaf... Ford never put coils under an Excursion, even in 05, which is when the pickups switched to coils. 05 was the last year of the Excursion and they never made the switch. They did change the grille and headlights to match the 05 trucks, not sure on the dash, cause I think Ford changed the instrument cluster in the 05-07 trucks... not sure if they did in the Excursion.
That’s annoying! I really wish they kept the excursion going. Could you imagine a 22’ 6.7 excursion with all the king ranch leather? I know what I’ll dream about tonight now.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen scrounging salvage yards and classifieds the OBS Dana 60 is like gold compared to the newer Super Duty axles.

Yea, any less than $1500 is hard to find and good shape srw's with all part did go for around $3000 round me. I got a drw king pin with no hubs or hardware for $750. Dont want to know cost of those axles now with how things have gone.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way I've found is to find an old junk truck that's falling apart and part it out. That's how I got mine for free LOL

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put SRW king pin Dana 60s in both of my F250s. The first one I got for $750, complete minus the springs, track bar and rear spacer blocks. The second one was a complete truck for $600. I had to drive 100 miles each way and haul it home. I put batteries in it, bled the fuel lines and drove it off the trailer. It's a 86 F350 with a good running 6.9. I made out pretty good on that deal. I've seen just the axles going for over $1,000 around here for the OBS trucks. No lower spring bracket and nothing else included. The newer Super Duty axles go for $500 or less around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online