ZF5 advice ?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
when i built my pickup and did my swap i was unaware of the "gear roll over noise" After starting my the truck for the first time i never actually hurd the noise. everything was quiet. untill i pushed in the clutch for the first time and let it back out. the noise does not happen with the clutch pushed in. since then its been an on going battle to find out what was going on with my tranny. I have had it out a couple times. I have replaced every bearing in the tranny thinking it was a bearing noise. It has a new throw out bearing although it looks different than the one i took out. Iv been driving it this way for 5k miles now. I have notice the syncros are starting to go on me. (never were very great when i got it from the PO). and when i slowly take off there is a loud rattle noice. then once you are moving it goes away. I have a new Valaar clutch that i am waiting to install. Im going to yank the tranny out again and do 1 of 2 things with it. rebuild it and find out whats going on...or make a coffee table out of it.

I guess my ? is. are these trannys worth rebuilding to the point where i am going to just keep hearing all these noises.

and also what makes an NV4500 5 speed not have gear roll ove noise when bolted behind this motor?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
when i built my pickup and did my swap i was unaware of the "gear roll over noise" After starting my the truck for the first time i never actually hurd the noise. everything was quiet. untill i pushed in the clutch for the first time and let it back out. the noise does not happen with the clutch pushed in. since then its been an on going battle to find out what was going on with my tranny. I have had it out a couple times. I have replaced every bearing in the tranny thinking it was a bearing noise. It has a new throw out bearing although it looks different than the one i took out. Iv been driving it this way for 5k miles now. I have notice the syncros are starting to go on me. (never were very great when i got it from the PO). and when i slowly take off there is a loud rattle noice. then once you are moving it goes away. I have a new Valaar clutch that i am waiting to install. Im going to yank the tranny out again and do 1 of 2 things with it. rebuild it and find out whats going on...or make a coffee table out of it.

I guess my ? is. are these trannys worth rebuilding to the point where i am going to just keep hearing all these noises.

and also what makes an NV4500 5 speed not have gear roll ove noise when bolted behind this motor?

If the "rattling" noise is what i think it is, at take off, it is what EVERY zf5 does when you labor it at initial take off, dont worry about it. You can buy a complete zf bearing and seal kit for about 150 and syncros for about 125

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If the "rattling" noise is what i think it is, at take off, it is what EVERY zf5 does when you labor it at initial take off, dont worry about it. You can buy a complete zf bearing and seal kit for about 150 and syncros for about 125

WOW! these things are cheaper to rebuild than a C6 if all the gears and shafts are good!!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
WOW! these things are cheaper to rebuild than a C6 if all the gears and shafts are good!!

My trans guys will put bearings ,seals and all the syncros in a trans for 500 if i hand him the trans. That is him supplying the parts and labor. Or for another 250 he will R&R the trans too

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they all make the noise. ZF or NV. that is why the DMF exists.
rebuild the ZF;Sweet
did you ever put in the 3.55 stuff?:D

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Not yet towcat.. Im getting all my ducks in a row first here.

1 yank tranny and rebuild it.
2 yank radiator and re seal the top of it.
3 yank wiring harness as i got ahold of a under hook fuse/relay box and wire that into the harness. I want to get all my acc. off the stock wiring.
4 install intercooler setup that i have laying in my room
5 install denny t stage 2 fuel pin and 3200rpm gov spring
6 install valaar clutch i have sitting in my room
7 then install the 355 gears :)

but anyway back to my tranny. Is there anywhere out there that has the specs to rebuild the zf5. when i put the bearings in i never checked any lashes or anything. and Diesel_brad where can i get those kits? thanks guys

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zf -5 lugging normal rattle ?

operate truck without lugging!!! or if noiser only when hot you need to reset the pre load on the shafts ,,,,, the case expands if the shaft s tapered bearings dont have the preload spot on loosee gooosee noisee noiseee in my opinion

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change the gears first.
there will be a different workload put on your motor and trans.
the rollover should no longer be as pronounced.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
interesting ok. well im going to do it all in one shabang. the syncros are going south on it now. ( they have to have over 350k on them by now) so i will do that. new clutch..and 3.55 gears and see where she takes me :) thanks calv!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US