strange whirring noise.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have my '89 with a ZF-5 with a strange problem. Every so often ( with out warning) I hear a whirring noise from underneath the vehicle. It happens in either 4th or 5th gear and at 1000 to 1600 rpms. Depressing the clutch doesnt seem to affect the noise level much and without warning it stops and starts. I replaced the center carrier bearing thinking it was toast, but it didnt really affect it. The truck runs and accelerates good, I'd like to know what is going on. Any ideas????

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideas.
Next time, shift to neutral, turn off the key and DO NOT PUT IT IN THE "LOCK" POSITION. Just enough to stop the engine.
Still got noise?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have my '89 with a ZF-5 with a strange problem. Every so often ( with out warning) I hear a whirring noise from underneath the vehicle. It happens in either 4th or 5th gear and at 1000 to 1600 rpms. Depressing the clutch doesnt seem to affect the noise level much and without warning it stops and starts. I replaced the center carrier bearing thinking it was toast, but it didnt really affect it. The truck runs and accelerates good, I'd like to know what is going on. Any ideas????
Well… could drive it above 1600 rpms, like I do… ;Poke :joker:

But, in all seriousness…

Is the noise there when on the brakes? That could reverse the slack in the driveline, which to an extent could help you narrow it down.

A couple of the Dodges at my work would whirr while cruising, and shortly after, the rear end would howl. So makes me wonder if that’s it. Rear diffs that howl seem to kinda go, whaa whaa whaa when you get on the brakes…

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear diff was my thought as well. I would grab the pinion yoke and see if the pinion bearing has loosened up enough to wiggle it. If the gear oil is old enough to warrant a change, it might be good to pop the cover and have a look inside. My diff made a whirring noise as it started to fail, but I think mine was mainly when I took my foot off the pedal and coasted/decelerated.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens sporadically, and sometimes I shower down on the accelerator and it quits and sometimes it doesn't. It seems to have a mind of its own.

My friend : told me to check my throw out bearing and I said: "no soap, don't have a observation window on the bell housing." I may just keep driving until something goes. Unfortunately, west Texas is a wide open place and I may break down far from home.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Texas.
Getting home might not be a problem, Or is that fence slowing down the push crew? I spent some time in El Paso back along 1965/1969.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT seems the LuLuBelle is possessed because there is no rhyme or reason when it happens. and it may do it for a few seconds or just an instant. Did it last night with Mrs. Joe in the front seat while buy feed. Since my hearing is pretty shot she said she could hear a metallic grinding noise going down the road. But it stopped when I put it in reverse to back up into the driveway. I'm getting pretty serious about looking for another ZF5 , but with a steeper granny gear and a clutch set.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already check for play in the pinion bearings, kinda sounds like the inner pinion bearing could be a possibility.

James

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already check for play in the pinion bearings, kinda sounds like the inner pinion bearing could be a possibility.

James
Could the fact it has limited slip differential be an issue? Im about ready to pull the center carrier bearing and check again. I wish I could find a carrier bearing that has grease zerks. I only drive around town , dont want to risk it until I know for sure.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the limited slip differential, I wouldn't think it would make much noise unless there wasn't any oil in it.

James

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out there are various sizes of carrier bearings and I may have purchased the wrong one. It may have worked long enough to go out. Ill take my micrometer and check the size of the yokes to determine the size. May also drain the tranny and pull the side plate and look inside, although Im afraid to look. lol

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well folks, here we go again! I cant locate the noise, so im going for broke! Ill drive LuLuBelle until something falls off , falls out or just flat quits then Illhave nay answer stay tuned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online