strange whirring noise.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the fact it has limited slip differential be an issue
The time when a limited slip would make a noise would be when the back wheels are spinning at different speeds...like taking a turn or a gradual curve...the clutches or cones would grind if you have...
'A'...not enough lube oil...
'B'...worn out lube oil...
'C...' the wrong lube oil...
'D'... low air in one tire...assuming the tires are matched and have the same wear...
'E'...two different profile rear tires...effectively spinning at different speeds...

if the loaded radius on both back tires is the same and you are driving in a straight line then the limited slip is not a factor...

We are not ruling out the possibility of bad pinion bearings or bad carrier bearings...I have seen my share on Dana-style rears...

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO sir, its just a 2WD long bed with an extended cab. Im going to start driving down the highway until it starts making the racket , turn off the ignition and listen. Ill try to do it where I can place it in neutral or in gear, to see if it makes a difference. This is going to get interesting I think.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well folks, here we go again! I cant locate the noise, so im going for broke! Ill drive LuLuBelle until something falls off , falls out or just flat quits then Illhave nay answer stay tuned
That would be my suggestion. I'm sure you have more than one vehicle, so IF lulubelle happens to go down youll be fine until she's back online.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JF, Ive got a Ram1500 but it doesnt have the pizzazz of a 34 year old truck when I park it nest to an attorney's Porsche, Caddy or Vette. I want to drive LuLuBelle until I cant move any more..............Which with arthritis is not too far off. LOL!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JF, Ive got a Ram1500 but it doesnt have the pizzazz of a 34 year old truck when I park it nest to an attorney's Porsche, Caddy or Vette. I want to drive LuLuBelle until I cant move any more..............Which with arthritis is not too far off. LOL!!
I strongly agree. The newest vehicle I own is a 90 firebird (KITT), and yes there is a level of class to our old trucks and such, but since my wife and I exclusively drive ancient vehicles I keep 3 insured and tagged that way there's always a vehicle to drive.........it's still cheeper than a car payment.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesus Freak, I drive my '89 ranch truck to work at the courthouse and park it in my reserved parking; right next to high end sports/luxury cars. I think its funny , but after the next world war only 2 things will be running around: cockroaches and 7.3 idi trucks.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Man, how I wish I could park my samurai like you park your truck

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows LuLuBelle at work. She smokes when she starts up and then I drive off. I hope to have her up to ***** soon.

The whirring noise bothers me, and I can generally troubleshoot things but due to my hearing deficiency I have issues locating noises. I figure: drive it till she drops and if its the transmission I needed a ZF5 with a lower granny gear. I dont drive it too hard pulling a 23 foot livestock trailer. Ill keep yall posted.
Well I guess that I'd better get rid of my 6.9s in that c

Well I guess that I'd better get rid of my 6.9s in that case. ;Poke
6.9s will be allowed to run around 24 hours AFter the next world war........... we will not be supplying cockroaches, bring your own! LOL :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online