Loud rattle

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the truck towed to a diesel shop - they got the inspection cover off and found the flex plate OK and torque converter bolts were tight. The mechanic removed the oil filter, opened it and found no metal. He's absolutely certain the noise is coming from the torque converter or transmission. The mechanic was not impressed with the workmanship he saw on the transmission. Had the truck towed (it's that bad) to the transmission shop - I still have 2 years left on the transmission rebuild. If the transmission shop accepts the transmission/torque converter is faulty it will be 2-3 weeks for a replacement transmission. Even if it's only the torque converter they'll ship the whole unit out rather than replace the torque converter.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update.. The transmission shop said the flexplate was cracked. The shop replaced it and I picked the truck up yesterday. The rattle is gone. Drove about 55 miles yesterday and another 100 miles today. Had a few hill races (two lane road traffic is going 10 under, a truck lane and everyone that was going 45 is now driving 70 until the truck lane ends). Not a problem with the transmission. Locked up a rear tire while braking for a stop sign and the ABS light came on and remained on until I shut the truck off. Now the ABS light is off. Never did that before. So far so good. The fuel/pressure, voltage, temperature gauges are all off - (all reading low). I'm tempted to pull the needles off the gauges when everything is warmed up and press the needles back on in the right position... or send the cluster out to be overhauled.
It's good to have the old girl up and running again.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now have about 300 miles on the pickup since the last repair. Nary a hiccup with the transmission or engine. The gauges that I somehow disturbed R&R the instrument cluster seem to be coming around too. I might bridge the oil pressure gauge resistor and screw an older oil pressure sender in while I have the cluster easily removable.
This truck has been in my life for 30 years now. It might only produce 170 horsepower and the exhaust stinks, but it's an authentic old school diesel that Greta Thunberg would certainly scowl at.
You must be registered for see images attach
It's a thrill to have it reliable again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online