Loud rattle

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The saga continues. The current problem is a loud rattle that goes away when the engine is under load. The transmission shifts fine - no more flashing OD light. Around town the rattle is quite loud but accelerating quiets the motor. Sometimes the rattle starts and stops as if it's a loose electrical connection... on off on off.. The problem is getting worse and it seems like the engine is missing (has a shake at low rpms).
Engine oil and ATF is topped off, no leaks and at least temporarily no operating issues.
Is there a cold start timing change? I seem to remember the engine RPM and noise being higher until a temperature is reached and then the RPM and noise drops...
I tell you it's been one thing after another lately with this 31 year old truck I've owned since new.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The saga continues. The current problem is a loud rattle that goes away when the engine is under load. The transmission shifts fine - no more flashing OD light. Around town the rattle is quite loud but accelerating quiets the motor. Sometimes the rattle starts and stops as if it's a loose electrical connection... on off on off.. The problem is getting worse and it seems like the engine is missing (has a shake at low rpms).
Engine oil and ATF is topped off, no leaks and at least temporarily no operating issues.
Is there a cold start timing change? I seem to remember the engine RPM and noise being higher until a temperature is reached and then the RPM and noise drops...
I tell you it's been one thing after another lately with this 31 year old truck I've owned since new.
Could be cold idle advance solenoid, or injectors, or injection pump.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but remember the thread a week or so back and it was DEFINITELY AIR INTRUSION,but ole boy pulled his valve cover and a couple rockers had came loose. Worth a look, me thinks.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, but why would the engine be quiet under a load?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, but why would the engine be quiet under a load?
Well, my 6.9 did this. Would clatter until you put your foot all the way down, then it’d get real quiet. IP died eventually… something to think about…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the video I made of my truck doing it, this was quite a while ago

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my 6.9 did this. Would clatter until you put your foot all the way down, then it’d get real quiet. IP died eventually… something to think about…
I had the injector pump rebuilt 8-9 years ago and have not put that many miles on it since the rebuild...maybe 9,000 miles (just a guess). The truck is mostly a garage queen for the last 19 years. The injectors were also replaced at the same time. I'm guessing that the cold timing advance might have something to do with it as the truck no longer has a faster idle at cold starts. If the cold idle advance was stuck on (or intermittently on/off when at operating temperature) the advanced timing would make for quiet acceleration, right?
Your video (thanx, BTW) seems to be more rpm related than load related than the issue I'm having.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If it was a wife...I would say it was time to revisit and renew your marriage vows...and be thankful for the years and miles of faithful service...
The truck is mostly a garage queen for the last 19 years.

You are fortunate to have a garage to keep your truck in...helps preserve things...a lot of us have to be creative to keep the merciless sun, wind, rain, animals, and trees from ruining what we are depending on...
no more flashing OD light.
Sounds like forward motion on ironing out a few concerns...everything else can't be too awful bad...at least you avoided a several thousand dollar repair...

1993 F-250 E4OD 280K miles, owned since new

I take it nobody else has f a r t e d in the drivers seat...thank the Lord...sure helps when you have to get under the dash for wiring up or replacing things...

See above about faithful service and being thankful...

ole boy pulled his valve cover and a couple rockers had came loose. Worth a look, me thinks.

This might be something to investigate to gain a greater appreciation of the wonderment that is an engine that International may have thought that it would only be a flash-in-the-pan...and not fathom it's popularity for so long...
guessing that the cold timing advance might have something to do with it as the truck no longer has a faster idle at cold starts.

All of the suggestions and advice seem to be valid and helpful...another thing to be thankful for...who would you have turned to thirty years ago...?

You gotta forgive my 'being thankful' mood..

Here comes the counterpoint...feel free to tune out now....I would not blame you...

but sometimes...when people are in a mood where they are thinking about throwing in the towel because of a speed bump in the road of life...they could use a pep talk and reality check...

I am encouraging you to stop and think and count your blessings....

The Girl and I have been working late into the night wiring up wire remesh and slab bolsters...hurrying up to get it done before a concrete crew can pour and finish before the head man goes on vacation and messes up our sub scheduling...

And sporadic rain has not helped...we worked in the rain last night.

Do you know what it is like to stand and bend over and wire up wire mesh to concrete chairs night-after-night ? In the rain...? so far...about 1500 wires...between the two of us...we HAVE to do it ourselves because supposedly legitimate contractors 'don't do it that way'...and we are the ones that are going to have to live with the results...

Not only that...but it has been a few decades since we both were 20 years old...

I hope you see fit to get your truck straightened out...it deserves to be after all of this time...you would not be able to replace it and the good memories...

Have a good Saturday...

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the injector pump rebuilt 8-9 years ago and have not put that many miles on it since the rebuild...maybe 9,000 miles (just a guess). The truck is mostly a garage queen for the last 19 years. The injectors were also replaced at the same time. I'm guessing that the cold timing advance might have something to do with it as the truck no longer has a faster idle at cold starts. If the cold idle advance was stuck on (or intermittently on/off when at operating temperature) the advanced timing would make for quiet acceleration, right?
Your video (thanx, BTW) seems to be more rpm related than load related than the issue I'm having.
It didn’t matter if it was at 1000 rpm or 3000 rpm, if I put the pedal all the way into the floor, it’d quiet down.

Advanced makes em clatter, retarded timing makes em quieter the way I understand it

Could be the temp sensor for the cold idle is bunged up somehow, or wiring connections are no good. These trucks are gettin up there, I just redid my engine wiring harness, had to use some of the original connectors, but anything that wasn’t working got replaced.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was a wife...I would say it was time to revisit and renew your marriage vows...and be thankful for the years and miles of faithful service...

You are fortunate to have a garage to keep your truck in...helps preserve things...a lot of us have to be creative to keep the merciless sun, wind, rain, animals, and trees from ruining what we are depending on...

Sounds like forward motion on ironing out a few concerns...everything else can't be too awful bad...at least you avoided a several thousand dollar repair...

1993 F-250 E4OD 280K miles, owned since new

I take it nobody else has f a r t e d in the drivers seat...thank the Lord...sure helps when you have to get under the dash for wiring up or replacing things...

See above about faithful service and being thankful...

This might be something to investigate to gain a greater appreciation of the wonderment that is an engine that International may have thought that it would only be a flash-in-the-pan...and not fathom it's popularity for so long...

All of the suggestions and advice seem to be valid and helpful...another thing to be thankful for...who would you have turned to thirty years ago...?

You gotta forgive my 'being thankful' mood..

Here comes the counterpoint...feel free to tune out now....I would not blame you...

but sometimes...when people are in a mood where they are thinking about throwing in the towel because of a speed bump in the road of life...they could use a pep talk and reality check...

I am encouraging you to stop and think and count your blessings....

The Girl and I have been working late into the night wiring up wire remesh and slab bolsters...hurrying up to get it done before a concrete crew can pour and finish before the head man goes on vacation and messes up our sub scheduling...

And sporadic rain has not helped...we worked in the rain last night.

Do you know what it is like to stand and bend over and wire up wire mesh to concrete chairs night-after-night ? In the rain...? so far...about 1500 wires...between the two of us...we HAVE to do it ourselves because supposedly legitimate contractors 'don't do it that way'...and we are the ones that are going to have to live with the results...

Not only that...but it has been a few decades since we both were 20 years old...

I hope you see fit to get your truck straightened out...it deserves to be after all of this time...you would not be able to replace it and the good memories...

Have a good Saturday...
Believe me, I am thankful for many blessings. This truck has served me well, hauling a 3 ton travel trailer across the Sierra Madre mountains in Mexico 4 round trips, clearing my lot (used it as a skidder) and multiple trips across the US hauling the 3 ton trailer. It's never left me stranded and I've replaced parts before they failed. I can't imagine buying a new diesel pick up - too complex and trouble prone, plus I like an 8' bed, and Maine has an excise tax every year when re-registering a vehicle... $1,000 plus for a sticker on the license plate.
I'll do whatever it takes to keep this vehicle running. I've benefited from you folks here being generous with your knowledge. I did become a dues paying member here about a month ago to help pay for the knowledge base.
I had a job that required physical labor for 45 years... I'm 71 and worn out now but still on the right side of the turf.
Good luck on the concrete job!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not many that have owned one of these since new.
I congratulate you, always buying new keeps most in the poor house.
Hey you are just a kid, I`ll be 80 in Jan., and "keep on keppin on".
Just rolled 345K on the 86. And put just about 3K miles on it a week ago, going from Carson City, Nv. to Rapid City, SD., (Mt. Rushmore). Engine smooth as a Singer Sewing Machine. she does use some oil though. Most thought I was crazy and should have rented a car, fooey on that, truck is more comfortable.

Registration here in Nv., is $61 a year. Not sure what a new $50 - $70K truck would be here plus Insurance, don`t want to think about it.

Your`s is an old friend, take care of her, keep her happy,
and pat her on the *****, and tell her you love her. :love:

EDIT: f a n n y is a bad word?

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.