Motor work. Bent rods, loose lifter,

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Update:

Old motor is out. It had a serpentine system so I pulled the accessories and am mounting them to the 87 6.9 to replace the V-belt system that came on it.

The 87 motor got its heads, intake manifold and valley pan all washed in a parts washer. Everything looks pretty good when it’s clean and not covered in muck.

I just wanted to confirm that the new lifters do not need to be soaked in oil or anything right? I did put the harmonic balancer at 11 o’clock when I installed the lifters but I did install lifters dry. Aside from that, the replacement motor is coming along nicely. Hoping the new valve cover gaskets don’t leak as Ive read they’re prone to doing so and the R&D return rails look good on the motor. Planning on getting the motor in this weekend. Wish me luck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
WE always soaked our new lifters in oil and I still do the same. I let them sit for at least three days. Is it 100% necessary? I don't know. My thinking is that it's not like a gas engine where you can spin the oil pump to prime the system beforehand.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
WE always soaked our new lifters in oil and I still do the same. I let them sit for at least three days. Is it 100% necessary? I don't know. My thinking is that it's not like a gas engine where you can spin the oil pump to prime the system beforehand.
Well, sounds like I’m tearing it back down to soak those lifters then lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online