Motor work. Bent rods, loose lifter,

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Another update, I was able to find a 87 6.9 long block out of a local auto-dismantler, 2k delivered to my yard (that hurt the bank account and made my wife have a panic attack) guaranteed to run with a 30 day warranty. Once it gets delivered, I’ll yank the heads, inspect THOSE pistons, cylinders, and valves, slap in new head gaskets and studs as long as everything looks good, put in the 7.3 rockers (unless it already has em. I’ve read the 87’s did have the improved 7.3 rockers), as well as the new pushrods and lifters I ordered for the old motor. It’ll get my original injectors, pump, and so on as well.

The old motor will be getting a complete overhaul as funds become more available. It’ll be the project motor.

With all of that said, I need to know what’s the best way to getting the blown motor out. I’ll be renting a forklift for the day to help me out, my trucks got an E40D. Is it as simple as pulling off the front of the truck with the radiator, unbolting the bell housing and motor mounts and being careful?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is it as simple as pulling off the front of the truck with the radiator, unbolting the bell housing and motor mounts and being careful?
Along with the accessories, etc. I never pull off the front end and I don't recommend it, although most people don't listen to me. It just seems like a lot of extra work that's not needed.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
any of you ever use the CDD head gaskets? I’m about to order a set but am having trouble choosing a brand. I saw CDD has their extra thick gaskets with more coolant ports, I like the idea but am curious if anyone’s used them and what their results were.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not run the one from the junkyard. As soon as you pull the heads, it likely voids any warrantee they had.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any of you ever use the CDD head gaskets? I’m about to order a set but am having trouble choosing a brand. I saw CDD has their extra thick gaskets with more coolant ports, I like the idea but am curious if anyone’s used them and what their results were.
I put a pair on my 7.3 Turbo

I’m yet to run the truck, waiting on some things.

Should have it going within 10 days, hopefully in a week, but depends on how soon stuff shows up, should be finished putting my engine together in a day or two

Hope the head gaskets work good, being slightly thicker will lower the compression minimally, but I deleted the glow plugs which drops compression quite a bit, should be about 20.7:1 like an A model 6.9, instead of 21.5:1

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Why not run the one from the junkyard. As soon as you pull the heads, it likely voids any warrantee they had.
Maybe you’re right, although I was going to have it out on a stand regardless once they delivered it and planned on tearing it apart to see if it needed anything. Might as well know what I’m working with before I put it in the truck. And it had less than 150k on it. Pulled everything apart and it looks damn near spotless and turns over smooth as silk. Its getting studs, new gaskets throughout, and all the new parts for the old motor. I have peace of mind that once I put it in the truck, any reason it wouldn’t run will most likely be fuel related which was never a problem with the old motor anyways.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
I put a pair on my 7.3 Turbo

I’m yet to run the truck, waiting on some things.

Should have it going within 10 days, hopefully in a week, but depends on how soon stuff shows up, should be finished putting my engine together in a day or two

Hope the head gaskets work good, being slightly thicker will lower the compression minimally, but I deleted the glow plugs which drops compression quite a bit, should be about 20.7:1 like an A model 6.9, instead of 21.5:1
I just went with a VR full set off rock auto. Figured I might as well go with tried and true, I’ll probably pick up a CDD set for the old motor, since it’ll be the hobby motor. Thinking I’ll throw it in an old Highboy or something. Let me know how they hold up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Pulled everything apart and it looks damn near spotless and turns over smooth as silk.
How do the bearings look?
I just went with a VR full set off rock auto.
I'm not a Fan of VR at all. They work though. The Fel_Pro gaskets are .010" thicker than the VR and it helps tremendously if you have close valve to piston clearances.

Minuteman96

Reaction score

I'm not a Fan of VR at all. They work though. The Fel_Pro gaskets are .010" thicker than the VR and it helps tremendously if you have close valve to piston clearances.

+1 felpro hg
Well ****. lol. I’ll see if I can cancel the order and go with Felpro. I was reading VR was the way to go.

Minuteman96

Reaction score

Bearings looked fine. I was honestly impressed with how good everything looked. One of those times where you wonder why the hell the truck ended up at a Dismantler/junkyard.
The motor had all kinds of extra fuel related stuff on it though. Like an extra fuel filter, weird routing on the return lines and random unnecessary clamps. I assume the owner was trying to track down air intrusion and just gave up.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've seen countless cars at the wrecker that were in prestine shape, either a blown auto or a toasted clutch. Some people would rather buy new rather than repair.

Remember folks.
Consume.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you never see any older cars on the road anymore.
Some don`t pass smog, but are really clean.
Before my Wife and I got married. What ever car she had, needed a Water pump. Well she came home with a new Pump, but was attached to a new 85 Mazda 626.

Cars today all look alike, one Mfg, to the next, all the same , have no idea what they are. They have no life or sole, reminds me of the Bumper cars at the amusement parks.
Launching from one red light to the next, till they are behind me and almost launch into my Hitch, and a sudden nose div, and Iam
grinding through the gears of my T-19. :peelout

Goat

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Yeah, you never see any older cars on the road anymore.
Some don`t pass smog, but are really clean.
Before my Wife and I got married. What ever car she had, needed a Water pump. Well she came home with a new Pump, but was attached to a new 85 Mazda 626.

Cars today all look alike, one Mfg, to the next, all the same , have no idea what they are. They have no life or sole, reminds me of the Bumper cars at the amusement parks.
Launching from one red light to the next, till they are behind me and almost launch into my Hitch, and a sudden nose div, and Iam
grinding through the gears of my T-19. :peelout

Goat
My wife bought a brand new 2019 Cherokee with the inline 4 banger in it before we got together. Hasn’t been a bad little car, but I don’t trust it and am just waiting for all of my hesitation with newer cars to prove true when something happens with it when I need it most.

Once we buy a house, we’re selling the Jeep and going with an old suburban to fit all the kids and dog. Easier to work on, less electronics and more room. Plus way more character if we put a little work into it. Classic American family hauler. Might even do an IDI swap into it :sly lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86