Loud rattle

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your flywheel bolts. I just had this happen to my truck. At idle made noise, slow-moving got loud, and accelerating got quiet. It's easy to check. Just pull off the cover and put a wrench on them.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many that have owned one of these since new.
I congratulate you, always buying new keeps most in the poor house.
Hey you are just a kid, I`ll be 80 in Jan., and "keep on keppin on".
Just rolled 344K on the 86. And put just about 3K miles on it a week ago, going from Carson City, Nv. to Rapid City, SD., (Mt. Rushmore). Engine smooth as a Singer Sewing Machine. she does use some oil though. Most thought I was crazy and should have rented a car, fooey on that, truck is more comfortable.

Registration here in Nv., is $61 a year. Not sure what a new $50 - $70K truck would be here plus Insurance, don`t want to think about it.

Your`s is an old friend, take care of her, keep her happy,
and pat her on the *****, and tell her you love her. :love:

EDIT: f a n n y is a bad word?

Goat
I congratulate you on attaining your age and still trusting a 37 year old vehicle on a long trip. Years ago we were camped on a beach in Mexico and an old Divco milk truck came rolling in. It had been tastefully restored and now served as a motor home. It must have been 45 years old at the time and almost 1,000 miles south of the border. It takes great mechanical confidence to trust an old vehicle when replacement parts are not easily found miles from home. I hope I can some day take a long trip with my '93.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I congratulate you on attaining your age and still trusting a 37 year old vehicle on a long trip. Years ago we were camped on a beach in Mexico and an old Divco milk truck came rolling in. It had been tastefully restored and now served as a motor home. It must have been 45 years old at the time and almost 1,000 miles south of the border. It takes great mechanical confidence to trust an old vehicle when replacement parts are not easily found miles from home. I hope I can some day take a long trip with my '93.
A mechanically sound vehicle is just that no matter how old. Brand New cars break down.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I see, way more often than the old ones. I have way more faith in a mechanically sound older vehicle than anything built in the last 15 years.

James
There is a couple at our Church, that has their newer VW in the shop over the past 2 months, waiting for some part.
I told them, if they had one of these old Fords, PNP has a good ready supply to keep you going.

One of the car Co`s had a stock pile of vehicles because of a shortage of Chips from China.
All this electronic stuff is going to do us in.
My kioti CK30 Tractor, the Tach and Hour Meter are kaput.
Was at the dealer yesterday, looks like is not fixable, have to buy a whole new Instrument Cluster.....$400.00...that ain`t going to happen. Just wire in an after Mkt Hour meter and forget the tach.

Goat

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I drive this `92 shuttle long distances occasionally. The rest of the time I'm driving my 50 year old deuce long distance and often following dirt tracks. I don't consider myself a good mechanic but these rigs are pretty simple.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your flywheel bolts. I just had this happen to my truck. At idle made noise, slow-moving got loud, and accelerating got quiet. It's easy to check. Just pull off the cover and put a wrench on them.
I somehow missed this suggestion yesterday. It's worth a look - I had the transmission rebuilt a year ago and the shop left a couple of bolts from the case to the engine loose (or they came loose). This rattle came on too quickly IMO for an injection pump issue. I'll have a look tomorrow.
Thanks!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could not remove the 3/8" bolts for the torque converter inspection cover without rounding the first one. The two bottom bolts were easy and backed out - but the upper bolts must have been over-torqued. Bottom line is I can't remove the cover to check the torque converter bolts - which I suspect are not loose.
Next I'll see if I can get the injection pump checked. Connecting and disconnecting the cold timing advance made no difference in the noise.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could not remove the 3/8" bolts for the torque converter inspection cover without rounding the first one. The two bottom bolts were easy and backed out - but the upper bolts must have been over-torqued. Bottom line is I can't remove the cover to check the torque converter bolts - which I suspect are not loose.
Next I'll see if I can get the injection pump checked. Connecting and disconnecting the cold timing advance made no difference in the noise.
But, could a crazy overtightened bolt on an inspection cover be an indicator of questionable mechanical antics from the tranny shop? Thus making one wonder about the bolts on the torque converter? Just a thought......

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, could a crazy overtightened bolt on an inspection cover be an indicator of questionable mechanical antics from the tranny shop? Thus making one wonder about the bolts on the torque converter? Just a thought......
The tin heat shield that protects the electrical connector is attached by 2 8mm hex head screws. They were on so tight I had to take the truck back to the transmission shop so they could back them off. I have reasonably good tools and I've never run into a bolt or nut on this vehicle I could not back off... until this transmission rebuild.
The 3/8" (10mm) screws holding the inspection cover have no sign of locktite but they will round off if I try to break them loose.
Internal work on a automatic transmission or injection pump is beyond my abilities, so some things I need to have a shop do.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I saw you get close to one of my vehicles with a wrench, I'd break your hand........ nothing personal, it's just my way. I'd expect the same treatment from you.
There's a very people that I'd trust to work on my vehicles, but, for the most part, I'm right there with you.
Internal work on a automatic transmission or injection pump is beyond my abilities, so some things I need to have a shop do.
Perfectly understandable. I'm the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online