Zf5 insane roll over noise

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Interesting it was a success not leaks but some people on Facebook says it’s in backwards?
Wes has told me that he's had troubles with the first type of seal that you used. I'm on #3 of that seal that's leaking. I'm going to install a "install dry" seal like you did, but probably not until it warms up. DO NOT listen to those idiots on Facebook. If you look at your seal (before you installed it anyway) you'll see that it actually had two lips. One sticks out both directions. The side that says "install dry" faces away from the engine. The seal most likely came with the sleeve already in it. The ones that I've seen all have. That sleeve can only go onto the crankshaft one way since there's a step in it. As long as you install the seal the same way that it was sitting with the sleeve when you got it, you'll be fine. I believe that if you installed it backward, it would be leaking pretty quickly.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes has told me that he's had troubles with the first type of seal that you used. I'm on #3 of that seal that's leaking. I'm going to install a "install dry" seal like you did, but probably not until it warms up. DO NOT listen to those idiots on Facebook. If you look at your seal (before you installed it anyway) you'll see that it actually had two lips. One sticks out both directions. The side that says "install dry" faces away from the engine. The seal most likely came with the sleeve already in it. The ones that I've seen all have. That sleeve can only go onto the crankshaft one way since there's a step in it. As long as you install the seal the same way that it was sitting with the sleeve when you got it, you'll be fine. I believe that if you installed it backward, it would be leaking pretty quickly.
Well I did remove the sleeve to press it in…
And this picture does imply that I have it in backwards
Aswell as watching yt videos more clearly it also appears I installed it backwards and it’s stirring flush with the wrong side…
It’s becoming harder to pull transmission since I slipped a disc in my back so I can’t physically afford to pull the trans again so I have to be 1000% sure I’m doing it right this time and if that means I have to flip it around so be it

Attachments

• 80E71B9D-4847-47CE-8F72-D14F2353CC4F.png
    80E71B9D-4847-47CE-8F72-D14F2353CC4F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You have to. Install the seal so that it faces the same way when you put the sleeve back in to install the seal/plate.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to. Install the seal so that it faces the same way when you put the sleeve back in to install the seal/plate.
Like this? Flush with the trans side?

Attachments

• 46B2294B-5C8A-4B2C-83DD-57C27C11C379.png
    46B2294B-5C8A-4B2C-83DD-57C27C11C379.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just now zooming in on your photos, yep that seal is in backwards. It's a 'spring seal' so it may hold for a while, but it's designed for crankcase pressure going one way, not the other. Eventually it'll leak.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s this lookin y’all
Well shoot I didn't even know you could take that plate out! :frustrate :rotflmao
I installed mine in the engine without removing the plate. Still no leaks. Phew!

Any engine advice from Nick Pisca is gonna be good stuff. He used to be around here, van owner. Haven't seen him in a while. Anyway he knows his stuff about these engines. He takes lots of notes and has a lot of good tips and write-ups. I can't think of his screen name right now.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yep its a seal carrier, is actually pretty common. It's so the seal can be centered on the crank, then you tighten down the retaining bolts.