ZF5 gear rollover noise

dkleind0110

Reaction score
So I have a 92 7.3 IDI w/ a zf5 and recently was visiting my dad that has a 96 7.3 powerstroke w/ a zf5 and noticed that his truck has an extremely loud almost deafening noise when the clutch is out in neutral. Waaaayyyy louder than my truck’s zf5. I noticed sometimes I if I mess around with the clutch pedal i can make it temporarily stop making the loud noise in neutral and you hear a little of an inconsistent rattling around almost like something like a coin in a can then the loud constant noise comes back. Can’t always get it to happen so I don’t have a video of that sound just the constant loud sound. From the searching I’ve done on oilburners seems like zf5s can have super loud rollover noise. Is this sound how loud rollover noise is on some zf5s? Or maybe it has a single mass flywheel? Just want to make sure it’s nothing wrong w/ the transmission, it shifts fine and is tighter than mine. Some shudder on disengagement you kinda have to just drop it into 1st or reverse but that used to happen on my truck until I got a new clutch. I took a video of it link’ll be at bottom of the post. Windows are rolled up so sounds not as loud.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They really are stupid loud. Probably a single mass flywheel. My dually is louder than my tow truck for some reason, they both have single mass. Maybe a 1000 watt amp a 10" or 2-8"s would shut it up with some Third Day or Lincoln Brewster.

dkleind0110

Reaction score
They really are stupid loud. Probably a single mass flywheel. My dually is louder than my tow truck for some reason, they both have single mass. Maybe a 1000 watt amp a 10" or 2-8"s would shut it up with some Third Day or Lincoln Brewster.
Thanks man, guess he’s just got a stupid loud one then

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, guess he’s just got a stupid loud one then
That is an indicator that he's a winner! And actually the loud one in the dually is "tighter" than the tow truck so that might be something too. Whatever you do DON'T put 90w in there to shut it up. Yes, it will be quieter for a while....... until it comes apart, and never makes a sound again.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Is it really loud outside of the truck as well, or mostly heard inside? The way that shifter boot looks makes me wonder if all of the parts are there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online