Fan clutch noise

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been hearing a metallic vibrating noise coming from my fan clutch when slipping the clutch or in low rpms. It made this noise once after installing it about 6 months ago. Now Everytime I drive the truck it happens. Fan spins freely, nothing is loose, temp is fine and steady. It is a Amazon fan clutch so maybe it's starting to die already lol. Has anyone had this noise come from their fan clutch?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the noise go away when the fan locks up? That would mean the noise isn't there at start-up(since a cold fan is mostly locked). IF that's the case, then yes it's dying already. Cheap bearing I would guess.

You said there's no play but what about if you push and pull a fin towards the rad and then fuel tank? If it wiggles back and forth that way you have a bearing on the way out. We just dealt with this on a Cummins ISB at work. Thought it was the transmission at first or bottom end or something...it was a frightening growl!

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the noise go away when the fan locks up? That would mean the noise isn't there at start-up(since a cold fan is mostly locked). IF that's the case, then yes it's dying already. Cheap bearing I would guess.

You said there's no play but what about if you push and pull a fin towards the rad and then fuel tank? If it wiggles back and forth that way you have a bearing on the way out. We just dealt with this on a Cummins ISB at work. Thought it was the transmission at first or bottom end or something...it was a frightening growl!
No the noise isn't there at start up.

Everything feels tight there's no wiggle.

I thought it was my transmission also but upon having someone else listen it was definitely coming from up front from the fan.

What's a good quality fan clutch out there?

I think the one I bought has a lifetime warranty I'll have to check on that.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to toss it out there, I have a brand new genuine motorcraft one I'm selling if you need it, or you could look into @03wr250f 's electric viscous fan conversion.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to toss it out there, I have a brand new genuine motorcraft one I'm selling if you need it, or you could look into @03wr250f 's electric viscous fan conversion.
What's the conversion?
What's the benefit?

How much you want to sell the OEM for?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What's the conversion?
What's the benefit?

How much you want to sell the OEM for?
I'm willing to part with it for $100 plus shipping.

As for the upgraded fan clutch, that was the route I went, hence why I have this brand new one. Here's the link to it for further details.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm calling this a shameless plug since we haven't isolated the problem yet, but you ought to see how fast I bee line to "I've got a riding mower for sale if you need one" in a conversation. LoL.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a old fan clutch on a parts motor I'm gana put on and verify that it's definitely the fan clutch making the noise. If so I'll be looking for a new one, I saw the conversion didn't include a fan clutch just a new kinda fan so that's not really what I'm after.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a old fan clutch on a parts motor I'm gana put on and verify that it's definitely the fan clutch making the noise. If so I'll be looking for a new one, I saw the conversion didn't include a fan clutch just a new kinda fan so that's not really what I'm after.
Good call. Keep us posted. If it's the fan clutch there's a dude waaayyyyy north and west of where I live that'll give you a good deal on a new one, that's not some technological marvel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online