Odd "ticking" noise

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this noise since I got the truck a couple years ago but it's very random and intermittent so I've just ignored it.
It seems to be coming from the area of where my 4wd lever comes through the floor.
It sounds like an old cassette player on FFW or Rewind. That ticky/scratchy sound.
Any ideas?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had this noise since I got the truck a couple years ago but it's very random and intermittent so I've just ignored it.
It seems to be coming from the area of where my 4wd lever comes through the floor.
It sounds like an old cassette player on FFW or Rewind. That ticky/scratchy sound.
Any ideas?
Does it only do it while driving or will it do it at idle?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My 4wd lever rattled bad at idle, but as soom as I reved up a little it stopped.
I greased the lever contact points at the trans, and it stopped doing it. Hope it's something as simple.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it only do it while driving or will it do it at idle?
I don't think I've heard it at idle.
My 4wd lever rattled bad at idle, but as soom as I reved up a little it stopped.
I greased the lever contact points at the trans, and it stopped doing it. Hope it's something as simple.
It doesn't sound "heavy metal" like the lever rattling. It's more of a very light "scratchy" rattle (like a cassette tape being rewound). And the noise isn't affected when I hold the lever.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something similar when the plastic tips on the t-case shift forks were worn out and sitting in the sump (came out when I drained the fluid). Does it change if you push the lever towards 2H, or preload it towards 4H?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something similar when the plastic tips on the t-case shift forks were worn out and sitting in the sump (came out when I drained the fluid). Does it change if you push the lever towards 2H, or preload it towards 4H?
It does sound like plastic. But moving the lever (just slightly while driving) doesn't seem to affect the sound.
But I like the info. you've provided. I should check/change my t-case fluid anyway...so I will look for debris.
If my forks are toast then what's my plan then? (it goes into 4wd fine since I got it)

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine would shift properly, but eventually the metal-on-metal contact will wear the shift collar and the forks... If that's it, you can even split the t-case without removing it from the truck (although it's a lot easier to work on sitting on the bench). Fork tips and most of the other parts can be replaced once you have the rear half of the case removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online