6.9 & 7.3 idi electric fan clutch conversion

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made this kit to solve the issue of finding a good fan clutch for the idis. I prefer motorcraft parts for most things on my own vehicle. Since they are no longer available for our trucks I developed this kit as a solution for that issue.

This kit comes with everything needed (except time and tools) to install.
I include a controller, adapter bushing, templates, instructions, wiring harness with motorcraft connector, and wiring terminals.
This kit gives the ability to have driver input to engage the electro-viscous fan clutch on(say at the bottom of a hill/grade), or allow the controller to regulate temperature according to coolant temp.

The controller is also user adjustable so you can set it at any desired temperature.
This works with v-belt or serpentine, on the stock fan or for the ultimate setup in cooling, use this fan clutch kit in conjunction with my upgraded 9 blade fan.

Operation:
When it turns on; it starts the fan clutch at 60% duty cycle when the coolant temperature threshold is reached and ramps to 100% duty cycle over 10* of increase in coolant temperature.
For example if you set it to come on at 200* it will turn on at 60% duty cycle and by the time it reaches 210 it will be 100% duty cycle.
With ac it is turned on at 60% to keep you cool in the summer, and 100% on with a user supplied toggle switch for any scenario.

I offer two kits.
One complete kit with all necessary components to swap including a motorcraft fan clutch
$660 shipped to the lower 48

And a builders kit for those of you who want to save a little money and source your own fan clutch. If you go this route, you will need to purchase your own fan clutch from a 2008-2010 f250-f550 6.4 separately.
$350 shipped to the lower 48

Any questions you can message me personally or my Facebook business page Workhorse Customs

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, that's pretty impressive man, good work!

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea Did the conversion works great!
I did add my own bracket for the plug to the fan shroud for piece of mind. (not in picture )
3 hours to install and took my time
Nice kit

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I will be buying one of these... Soon... As soon as I save the cash up for it. Want to do my full conversion all at once.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cant Write it does, however there may be additional work required.

Had one guy on the Facebook pages install it in a bullnose motorhome. He needed up having to change the mounting location of the radiator to shove it 3/4" forward to clear the fan clutch and provide enough room that it would not ever contact it.

Also some of locations for tapping into, or mounting the controller are slightly different. But yes I definitely fits vans, however some slight modifications may be needed.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tested the system loaded this weekend , worked perfect , had to make a small adjust and then after never went over 215. Picture is before the adjustment Holding at 220.
No IC and running 6lbs of boost
Egts at 1200

Loaded = camper + enclosed trailer
About 6500 lbs + truck
No issues happy with this 6.4 Fan clutch setup
I would recommend this to anyone

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
1200 on the Pyro? Squishy pistons!
Glad to hear it works great!

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pshh 1200 is fine, run it. Love it, and love seeing people work old iron!!
That is a heck of a load. Glad you are loving the kit!

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it correct that im seeing that what weve got here is a 6.0/ maybe 6.4 fan clutch with and adapter bushing? Thats pretty cool, do you turn those yourself?