Trying to diagnose a "noise"

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I posted a previous thread thinking my fan clutch was going out on me, started hearing a bad metallic vibrating noise. I swapped out clutches and the noise still persists which was a disappointment. It's so hard to hear where exactly it's coming from but I have a fear it's from the transmission, transfer case some where. The noise sounds like a loud "tink" after I release the clutch and start to give power. Then sometimes after it's a loud metallic vibrating noise until I get into higher RPMs. Any thoughts?

Everything about the truck seems fine.
Transmission shifts good.

But it's been driving me crazy and don't want to be in a stranded situation somewhere. Lol.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Then sometimes after it's a loud metallic vibrating noise until I get into higher RPMs.
This makes me think that you have a bad dual mass flywheel. Do you know what type of flywheel you have? Does it make the noise at start up and after you turn the key off? Those are also signs of a bad dual mass flywheel.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes me think that you have a bad dual mass flywheel. Do you know what type of flywheel you have? Does it make the noise at start up and after you turn the key off? Those are also signs of a bad dual mass flywheel.
I have a smf LUK.

Only couple years old.

Like I said hard to exactly hear where the noise is. But I just took a drive and now my suspicious is pointing towards the rear wheel maybe. Tomorrow I'm gana lay on my flat bed and have a buddy drive around slow so I can listen lol.

I'll update what I hear haha.

Hoping it's a brake issue or something.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt it's the same thing but one time got a small pebble stuck between a wheel and outside brake drum and it made a pretty erratic metal noise. Found a small pebble last weekend stuck in a serpentine belt pulley and it was eating away at the belt.

Maybe a loose bolt somewhere?

It could be a lot of things but hopefully process of elimination starting with known rotating pieces will help narrow things down.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found the noise.

The rear drums definitely need replaced, so I rebuilt them completely.

But when I was under the truck I saw my carrier bearing was leaking grease and found it to be the culprit.

Now check out this mess I found on my drive shaft. Sloppy work.

I had no problem cutting off the race with a little patients and finesse
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online