Rebuilt engine need help diagnosing

afree92

Reaction score
Evening everyone I need your help. I just bought a rebuilt engine for my 94 idi got her all put in the truck and fired her up. She ran great for the first 15 minutes after startup. Oil pressure is perfect and everything seemed to be working just fine. But about 15 minutes in I started to get air blowing back thru the intake. It’s hard to explain. I’ve posted a video to help me diagnose it. Below is the link to Youtube for a short video I made this evening.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have an exhaust valve/lifter/rocker arm issue. It sounds like compression coming back through the intake when the intake valve opens.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you also take the driver side valve cover off and did all the lifters and rockers look to be operating normally?

afree92

Reaction score
I have not taken the drivers side off yet due it it sounding like the noise was comi g from the passenger side. I will check that out tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find anything. Thanks

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer.

I hear a definite thump, which could be a valve hitting the piston. Something is definitely off, so pull the covers and see if anything isn't right compared to the others. If you don't see anything, a compression test is what I would do next, as that might also reveal which cylinder is making the noise.

Olds64

Reaction score
x2 on checking the rocker arm movement on the driver's side AND running a compression test. If one of your cylinders has low compression you can do a leak down test to see if it's losing compression through the rings/valves/gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88