Who here runs a fuel additive?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score

joetennistreecare

Reaction score
Liqui Moly Diesel Purge

I read good reviews about the diesel purge but do not want to run it directly at this time. Everyone says you can add it to the tank and so does the back of the can. Liqui Moly customer service told me not to do that though, just hoping to get a few opinions before I do it now. Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It'd be fine to dump into the tank, it just won't work as well. You need like a gallon of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would stay closer to 1/4 tank. If you have to just dump a few bottles in.
Obviously the preferred method would be like Al's Tech article, but some may not be comfortable doing that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading that article I went ahead and ordered a gallon of the xpd optilube stuff. I had been running diesel clean in mind with just pure diesel but it's rather low on the list in comparison so I'll give that a try I guess.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read good reviews about the diesel purge but do not want to run it directly at this time. Everyone says you can add it to the tank and so does the back of the can. Liqui Moly customer service told me not to do that though, just hoping to get a few opinions before I do it now. Thanks.

Or;
Next time you change fuel filters, make sure one of your tanks is down to about an 1/8, then; take off the old filter & pour out the old diesel, fill this old filter with your diesel purge, using the same (low) tank the entire time run as close to empty as you dare, then fill this tank up. After you've run 5-10 gallons of diesel through the truck (still in the same tank) change to your new filter.

This will get you a run of diesel purge at nearly 100%, and catch most of the crud it knocks loose in your old filter, instead of clogging your new one.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Running optilube myself, or I would be running it if my truck was running.

joetennistreecare

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea to me. I have a 1990 7.3 so I'm not sure if it's the same as your 6.9 but does the fuel filter just unscrew like an oil filter? Can't seem to find a straight answer. Can you give me some instructions on changing it if it is more than just unscrewing? This is my first diesel and I know not much as of now.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does 75% of double-filtered/dewatered French-fry grease & mixed with diesel count as a fuel additive???
(CHUCKLE)

That mixture is what I ran in my 1991 F-250 for over 50K miles, until a "terrible excuse for a mechanic" destroyed my AT & we parted it out & for about the same price as I paid for it.

yours, satx