Who here runs a fuel additive?

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running a cetane booster / lubricant from a company called cen-pe-co. The local diesel fuel systems shop swears by it. But I have no way to see if there is much of a difference in lubricity in the short term. I'm probably going back to 2 cycle oil when I run out of this. At least with 2 stroke oil.. I KNOW it has lubricating qualities.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Did not use any lube or additive previously except once when suspected gelled fuel at negative single digits used PS red bottle in a fresh filter and rest in the tank. Since getting my new pump though I have been using PS gray bottle which says it has lubricant in it for pumps. I intend to keep a bottle or two behind the seat and use with every fill to hopefully get my money's worth out of the new fuel system. Nothing special about PS other than it is readily available everywhere around here. I'd imagine any other lubricating additive or 2 stroke oil should be just as good for normal use with ULSD.

autotech84601

Reaction score
I use optilube as it is made here locally. Seems to work well as my injection pump and injectors are noisy without it.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Since there is no issue with freezing here, I only run a quart of 2 stroke oil per tank at fill up. After reading some of the posts, maybe I am using too much. There is a thread around that had a link to a fuel additive research study. Many additives that claimed this and that (including extra lubricity) had terrible lubrication qualities. As in worse than using nothing at all. The very best (for lubricity) was biodiesel, followed by 2 stroke oil. I do not remember if ATF was tested. Maybe someone else can find the thread/link.