Burning up fuel shut off solenoids.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got off work and while my truck was warming up, it suddenly died! I told about it in the "so what did you do with your truck today" thread yesterday. Anyway I figured out the fuel shut off was fried, wedged a screw in there to hold it open and drove it home.

I have several extra IPs, so I put a different cap on it, crunk it up, shut it off, I'm good, right? Well, I guess not, but maybe. We'll see.

This morning on the way TO work, about a mile from the house, I was pulling off from a red light when it died in the intersection. I rolled it to the side of the road and checked the fuel shut off and sure nuff, no click.
Luckily I was "trained and prepared" for this. Such macgyvering is tough at 430am. I already had a prefabricated screw and the torx bit. Fixed it up, went to work, wasn't even late. I guess I could just go on with a screw wedged in my IP, and stall it in gear to shut it off, but certain things working correctly are nice.

My one thought is that since I just threw a whole cap on the IP instead of swapping out the fuel shut off, maybe there's some corrosion that is preventing a good ground. My reason for this suspension is that the cap wasn't flamming hot like it was yesterday and it didn't smell of burnt plastic.

My other thought is that there's a bad wire shooting too much juice to the solenoid, but seems unlikely, unless maybe y'all know something I don't, thus I'm creating this thread (which isn't about air intrusion or how my E4OD is throwing a THX-1138 code and not shifting into reverse, but is consistently giving me winning lotto numbers)

My other theory has to do with a certain Virginian that "lives in the brambles" sabbatageing my truck in hopes that I will become sick of it, get a chebby, and allow him to procure my center console with it's amazing cupholders! LoL!

Attachments

• IMG_20231206_130814.jpg
    IMG_20231206_130814.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240323_161102.jpg
    IMG_20240323_161102.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 13

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how my E4OD is throwing a THX-1138 code and not shifting into reverse,
Ya gotta see Robert Duvall about that...he lives on a horse farm in Northern Virginia and claims to have distant ancestry with the Lee Family...

How do you know that 'Wilson' didn't have anything to do with it..? needing attention, maybe...?

I gotta confess that I was eyeing your truck in the tractor pic with the bull on the inversion setup...but I would never want you to be without your 'augmented' rear end...

We are gonna save the cupholder thing for a possible visit with money in hand...because crafty artwork is worth it...and handy...I gotta dream up a design that works for me...and send you some plans...sometime in the future...

Sorry I am not more helpful on your fuel and wiring problem...somehow...just can't focus this morning...and have stuff to do...

it's good that you have spare parts...come in handy, huh...?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad grounds usually results in burnt wires over current usually results in poped fuse...
My .02

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya gotta see Robert Duvall about that...he lives on a horse farm in Northern Virginia and claims to have distant ancestry with the Lee Family...

How do you know that 'Wilson' didn't have anything to do with it..? needing attention, maybe...?

I gotta confess that I was eyeing your truck in the tractor pic with the bull on the inversion setup...but I would never want you to be without your 'augmented' rear end...

We are gonna save the cupholder thing for a possible visit with money in hand...because crafty artwork is worth it...and handy...I gotta dream up a design that works for me...and send you some plans...sometime in the future...

Sorry I am not more helpful on your fuel and wiring problem...somehow...just can't focus this morning...and have stuff to do...

it's good that you have spare parts...come in handy, huh...?
Gotta have the "augmented" truck rearend!(so everyone knows, apparently my truck was made into a dually by Certurian-Lehman, this my trucks butt is fake")

And no worries, I'll figure it out. But I like to throw stuff out there like that and you never know, one of these Earl Barners will be like, "oh yeah, I had a truck do that one time because my cat got stuck on the throw out bearing! Try counting your cats....."

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad grounds usually results in burnt wires over current usually results in poped fuse...
My .02
That's my thought too. But you never know, somebody might have the silver bullet......not THAT silver bullet......I know a lot of y'all have that one.....

Reactions: Clb

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a little experiment. I have the fuel shut off solenoid off my truck that apparently went bad hooked up to a battery on my bench. It's hot as fire! But it's holding. Should the solenoid get hot? I doubt it, but would like any input y'all have.

Okay, while I was typing that, it popped and shot stuff out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_161929.jpg
    IMG_20240326_161929.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 6

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another one hooked up now. It's hot and it has a crack that has stuff bubbling out of it....... probably not good....

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_163634.jpg
    IMG_20240326_163634.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 5

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will generate heat, does it not live inside of the return fuel flow path? Me don't remember...
This would cool it.
Cracked and bubbly:frustrate
Continuity test is in the tech 101 I posted I think...

Eta
2sLoW

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I checked all of my IPs and the shut off solenoids have hair line cracks and are questionable, so I pulled the lever that does the shut off and I'm just going to stall kill it until I get a new one. But I'm really studying this manual shut off stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_165447.jpg
    IMG_20240326_165447.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 2

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel circulating through the pump probably helps to keep it cool.

It will generate heat, does it not live inside of the return fuel flow path? Me don't remember...
This would cool it.
Cracked and bubbly:frustrate
Continuity test is in the tech 101 I posted I think...

Eta
2sLoW
I was thinking that the oil might cool it, but I think all mine are trashed.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No fuel on go...
Thinking out loud ( danger will robinson) grin
Can you pin it open and fashion up a solenoid in the fuel feed into the pump?
I'm not sure if you can really mod the cap to do a manual shutoff as I anit looking at one now.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No fuel on go...
Thinking out loud ( danger will robinson) grin
Can you pin it open and fashion up a solenoid in the fuel feed into the pump?
I'm not sure if you can really mod the cap to do a manual shutoff as I anit looking at one now.
Well, if you shut the fuel off to the pump, it runs dry which is bad, and you're basically repriming every time you start.

I'm going to order a new solenoid some time soon, but I have a cap that I'm studying on about doing a manual shut off.

The issue I'm confronting in my head right now is sealing around the shaft that will go through the cap. There should be little to no pressure at the top of the pump and there's the return line there that will divert any pressure that would possibly be pushing against the seal that I rig on a shaft. Tomorrow after I get done with the stuff I have to do I'm going to study some lawnmower carburetors and their throttle shafts and day dream some more about this.

And I looked up the link and place that @Nero posted, but all I saw is the line drawing he has on the first post of his thread. If anyone can find pictures of how it's professionally done, I'd like to have a look at it.

Reactions: Clb

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a discussion about this about a year ago, in my opinion the mechanical part should be fairly simple.

I'm just not sure exactly how to seal the shaft without either casting a new cover with more material where the shaft would go for a place to install a seal. Or machining a new cover with the same extra material around the shaft area for a seal.

Depending on the composition of the cover it could be possible to weld some aluminum round stock large enough for a seal where the shaft goes through.

I am definitely interested in the idea of a manual kill.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online