Who here runs a fuel additive?

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked in the chemicals thread and didn't find much. Who here runs a fuel additive, if so which one, how much, and how often? I looked at the dieselmax, red line options, and other various ones and don't understand the difference. I go though a 20 gal tank in about a week, and rotate tanks so neither sit for more than 3 weeks. It doesn't drop below 20F here so I'm not worried about gumming, is water that prevalent of an issue on tanks that don't sit.

If this has been covered feel free to link it, I didn't find it in searching...

Thanks all!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've been running Diesel Kleen with every fill up. It helped in starting quite a bit, then I started adding a little ATF and half a quart of 2 cycle oil. My injectors were on the way out and didn't like it, so after a quart or 2 of the 2 cycle oil I just went back to Diesel Kleen. Injectors were too far gone though and #6 stuck open and blew out part of the return cap, so I'm waiting on remans now.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little shy on running ATF in them with how many detergents and additives are in modern ATF. I'm in the process of completely renewing the fuel delivery (IP, Inj. return, filter, lift pump) system so I want to make sure I do what I can for preventative measures.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little shy on running ATF in them with how many detergents and additives are in modern ATF.
The detergent is the reason people use it. It's still the go to fix for cleaning sticking internals of the injector pump while it's still on the engine.

Reaction score
I've been using Stanadyne Performance Formula for over a year now. I split one whole bottle between the tanks every fill-up, which is overkill. Truck has always run smooth, but I notice that it idles a bit smoother and the IP/injectors are a little less noisy running it. I get the same effect when I fill at a station with biodiesel, but those are few and far between around me.

Mike

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I use ATF as my only fuel additive I've had better luck with it than the Higher priced additives
And as a bonus I have extra ATF in case the I run low win win.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ashless two cycle in my tank. Tried higher priced alternatives (optilube) but noticed no difference in starting or power. Also increases the aeromatics of ulsd back to previously higher levels. And a gallon of it at Walmart is only $13 or so.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roughly 1oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon of fuel every fill up. Also use power service @ the recomended ratio of 1oz per 3 gallons of fuel. I check my milage every fill up and This gives me 2mpg better.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have friends who use as stated 2 cycle oil and or ATF, but personally i use Diesel Kleen i just pour a bit into my tank every fill up and i can notice a difference if i dont. 7.3 idi with turbo

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howes power Kleaner and +/- 2ozs Walmart 2cy oil (per gal.)
Started Howes in '87 w/my then new '86. Use 100% bio diesel
@ 2oz per gallon during 3 seasons and Wally oil in the winter.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worry about lubricity with ULSD in my old diesels so I add a quart of bio-diesel for every ten gallons of d-2, I have seen a study that shows this is possibly the best for lubricity. I also keep some Opti-lube XL in my vehicles in case I have to fill up and I don't have my bio handy. I run some diesel purge 100% looped (especially on the Benz if I think things are getting dirty).

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow there are a lot of options out there, seems like a little magic dust here and a newt eye there and it will run great :rotflmao I think I'll go with the Diesel Kleen, looks like the best bang for buck and availability.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to that one test bio is the best. No idea where to get it around here

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run diesel kleen in my tanks every once in a while. Running engine on B20 biodiesel which....from what I understand.....has the best lubrication & cleaning characteristics than any other fuel additives on the market. 2 stroke oil was second in line if I recall correctly. I can't seem to find the article that compared fuel additive lubricity. It's online somewhere.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
power service, silver summer, white winter LOL

up here, you don't run an anti-gel, you don't run your engine :sly