What kind of power?

Reaction score
My question is, why DID ford go with an IDI instead of a DI when they first started putting diesels in. Dodge used a DI from the get-go, of course, they didn't start til 89', but still, shouldn't it have been doable?

Actually, Dodge first used an IDI engine in 1978

Mitsubishi 6DR5 4.0L. 105 HP

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anybody turbo AND intercool a IDI? :confused: i figure that plus propane should really lay it down, mabe even a touch of nitrous to cool it even more?? (cookoo ) i know i can't fit as big of a intercooler behind the grill in my scout but i can adapt a pretty decent sized one. little pump tweaking and see if i can cook some 32" BFG At's....and a Dana 44 LOL .

-Jon

OMG cook some 32's and a Dana 44.....man you'll smoke the 32's to the cords and as for that thar dana, well if u don't blow ujoints first, ya that dana is or will soon sucumb to the torture.

look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YgVTgAasE lotsa smokeumup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOZxMqFyVI

BTW the 4BT was my first plan for my Bronco...now I gots me a 7.3 turbo IDI for it....woo hoo....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSD stage 1 injectors from swamps $1050 plus shipping.
IDI IP from ford 550.00
IDI injectors 32-55 each
IDI return line kit 40.
aprox 910 for idi pump and injectors, and more labor to change, and less HP.

Not to argue with you, but I got my DPS Stage 1 IP and injectors as well as a return line kit for about $750. The IDI IP and injectors are pretty easy to change. Not sure taking off the valve covers to get to the PSD injectors could be less work. Anywho, just a counter-point.

Heath

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Not to argue with you, but I got my DPS Stage 1 IP and injectors as well as a return line kit for about $750. The IDI IP and injectors are pretty easy to change. Not sure taking off the valve covers to get to the PSD injectors could be less work. Anywho, just a counter-point.

Heath

its takes me about the same time to change PSD injectors as it does a pump and injectors, and return kit on an IDI.
Nick