What kind of power?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Might buy my friend's 93 F250 Supercab Longbed with the turbo idi in it. Was wondering what kind of power i could get out of it by putting the ATS upgrade kit on it, a 6.0 intercooler, electric fuel pump, DPS/Moose IP, DPS stage 1 injectors, ringed heads, head studs, ported heads/intake/exhaust, 4" downpipe, and 4" straight exhast on it, oh and some propane. Think this would break the 300 hp mark? Any other suggestions to go with those?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300HP at the wheels...I doubt it. At the crank, yeah probably. I'd avoid the oringed heads, you don't need it it might not even be good unless it was ONLY a toy/drag racer. Good, upgraded headgaskets and studs, DPS or Moose pump, biggest pipe you can fit on it, turbo, freest flowing fuel injectors you can get and an intercooler and it'll be a monster, no PSD or Cummins perhaps but whip most every IDI on the board.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One suggestion. Look at how much money you will spend to do all of that. Then look at how much it would cost to buy an OBS PSD truck that would have all that power with a simple chip. No sense spending more money for less truck.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
One suggestion. Look at how much money you will spend to do all of that. Then look at how much it would cost to buy an OBS PSD truck that would have all that power with a simple chip. No sense spending more money for less truck.[/QUOTE
my thought exactly.
at least until I see a IDI dynoing the same hp as a PSD for the same $$$.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for curiosity's sake, who here has dynoe'd a '94-97 PSD with no or minimal mods. What kind of power did you see? I'm thinking of dynoing my 86 before and after the turbo just to see what I come up with. Be interesting to have something to compare it to.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
What kinda tourque are we lookin at on a turbo motor?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting short article, but without seeing the horsepower and torque curves the max horsepower doesn't mean much. You can make a Honda motor put out 200 HP but you aren't going to tow a fiver with it. In trucks low end torque is much more important than max horsepower.

The simple fact is the PSD's computer controls allow it to make more power safely than an IDI can.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
let's see if my memory serves me...

On the The Enterprise (which is currently rotting away in a field of - let me get this right - Kudzu) she turned 201hp max (can't remember rpm) and 387 ft-lbs at ~2600rpm~ or there abouts. I could be a little off on those numbers as it's been quite a while since I owned her...

For those of you that don't remember - Enterprise = 91 F350 CC Dually with 7.3IDI Banks Turbo and a bunch of other mods - but IP was jacked up Travie Style...

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
One suggestion. Look at how much money you will spend to do all of that. Then look at how much it would cost to buy an OBS PSD truck that would have all that power with a simple chip. No sense spending more money for less truck.

To this I say, somethimes you must throw the practical out the window and do what you want. Expcially if nobody else is doing it.

It's just money and you'll make plenty of it before you're done.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of power?
This kind of power:
You must be registered for see images

Quite honestly, I'd expect that mine has 250+ at the wheels, I know it'll show a stock 6.0 it's taillights, it's had a penchant for eating rear driveline u-joints, and now the yoke, and it pulls much better than the 6.0 we have at work does, significantly more power to the ground.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of power?
This kind of power:
You must be registered for see images

Quite honestly, I'd expect that mine has 250+ at the wheels, I know it'll show a stock 6.0 it's taillights, it's had a penchant for eating rear driveline u-joints, and now the yoke, and it pulls much better than the 6.0 we have at work does, significantly more power to the ground.

;Really Come on now, let's be real. I did that damage with my 1980 Jeep CJ-5 and it was in 4th gear crusing at 60mph on I-64 in Virginia Beach with one of those famous bone stock 151 CID pontiac 4 bangers under the hood and 33" tires.

Last edited:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, you lost a u-joint or something else in the driveline first? Besides, those old jeeps had toothpick sized driveshafts and were known for doing stuff like this... And, really, don't deny that the 'ol Iron Duke is a powerhouse. LOL
This had a not quite week old u-joint. It started eating u-joints about 2 months ago, and had gradually gotten worse, and with the last u-joint change came a nasty vibration I couldn't track down, I'm thinking the yoke was cracked then... Rolled into the throttle after I shifted into third, and all hell broke loose, all I found of the u-joint besides the cap still in the yoke was a piece of the cross and a snap ring, I think the rest ended up in the river... Changed the yoke, cleaned up the damage on the driveshaft, and all is well.
And, FWIW, those are 33's on there.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Here are my numbers on the dyno run this summer:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP and 37.19 increase in Torque with the propane.

One of the guys figured that is 298.5HP at the crank with the LPG. not bad for a stock pump, just turned up, stock injectors, old style Banks turbo, and homeade LPG. Oh yea, little exhaust work also.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it's all about your perspective. you can definitly make an IDI run strong enough so that it's fun to drive and still reliable.