What kind of power?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
[hijack] 82 f100 how do you like the hankooks? and nice carnage [endhijack/]

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, you lost a u-joint or something else in the driveline first? Besides, those old jeeps had toothpick sized driveshafts and were known for doing stuff like this... And, really, don't deny that the 'ol Iron Duke is a powerhouse. LOL
This had a not quite week old u-joint. It started eating u-joints about 2 months ago, and had gradually gotten worse, and with the last u-joint change came a nasty vibration I couldn't track down, I'm thinking the yoke was cracked then... Rolled into the throttle after I shifted into third, and all hell broke loose, all I found of the u-joint besides the cap still in the yoke was a piece of the cross and a snap ring, I think the rest ended up in the river... Changed the yoke, cleaned up the damage on the driveshaft, and all is well.
And, FWIW, those are 33's on there.

LOL Busted me trying to pull your chain a littleLOL....Bingo, My U joint bearing cap let loose and ripped my yoke apart. I'd say you definatly have or had a problem that was the root cause of the U-joint problems leading up to this.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hyde: This is the second summer on the Hankooks, and other than the fact that my tire guy never balanced 'em(didn't have weights to fit my wheels at the time, and, never did get around to getting them) and the welded diff I just recently yanked out chewed on them pretty good, I like them just fine. They're quieter than a BFG mud, traction is good, as is wear, considering the welded diff, they're at about 65%, with about 15K miles on them, which isn't bad at all. I don't think they have quite the traction in the mud the BFG's I just picked up for the 460 truck do, but, I'm also comparing a worn tire to a new one. But, for the price difference, I'd get the Hankooks again.

Yes, the splines in the old yoke were worn pretty badly, and it looks like it may have been cracked for a while. So far, I'm vibration free, but, I still may need to upgrade it to the bigger u-joints the 87+ trucks run.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
stock obs psd anywhere from 175-215 rwhp
simple chip added to a obs PSD 250-300
add a set of injectors and your lookin at over 300.
stock 6.0 285-300.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that set of 7.3 injectors will buy an IDI...
And a 6.0, don't even go there, the power is nice, but the cost of truck maintenance is not worth it.. Unit bearings :puke: Been there, done that, wouldn't even own a 7.3 powered Super Duty again just because of the price of front end and brake parts...

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
PSD stage 1 injectors from swamps $1050 plus shipping.
IDI IP from ford 550.00
IDI injectors 32-55 each
IDI return line kit 40.
aprox 910 for idi pump and injectors, and more labor to change, and less HP.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSD stage 1 injectors from swamps $1050 plus shipping.
IDI IP from ford 550.00
IDI injectors 32-55 each
IDI return line kit 40.
aprox 910 for idi pump and injectors, and more labor to change, and less HP.

I've seen performance IDI injectors more than what I paid for the Swamps ;Sweet injectors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking those injectors won't do you any good though without some additional mods, no?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ok so what is the major differance, yes i know the PSD is computer controlled but how does that gain you that much power? do the heads breath that much better? do the injectors dump that much more fuel? more boost? does the PSD have a better fuel curve with the computer than the rotary pump?

if you could dump the same amount of fuel in an IDI why wouldent it match the PSD for power?

what is so differant from other diesel engines that they can hold so much more boost?

i know i am getting into the fundamentals of the engines designs, I would just like to know more. I have pulled allot of gassers apart but never been inside a diesel engine. i would like to know what makes the big differeces and if we can duplicate it for the older iron.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
for full potential from PSD injectors a chip is a must, bigger injector help, but without tuning, there little difference.

PSD's make power based upon boost and fuel control.
compression is 17 to 1 vrs 22 to one which allows for more boost.
the intake is no better or worse than an idi
the other benifit is the computer control
the cpu controls fuel pulse width, injection timing and fuel quantity.
the cpu is able to do this to match what ever condition is needed.
A mechanical pump cannot adapt. I
there is provisions to add more fuel , and to adjust the timing.
but those are set amounts that cannot vary on the fly.

it is possible to dump the same amount of fuel in an idi as a psd, you can even over fuel both of them.

its almost like a carb vrs a fuel injected gasser type thing.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
anybody turbo AND intercool a IDI? :confused: i figure that plus propane should really lay it down, mabe even a touch of nitrous to cool it even more?? (cookoo ) i know i can't fit as big of a intercooler behind the grill in my scout but i can adapt a pretty decent sized one. little pump tweaking and see if i can cook some 32" BFG At's....and a Dana 44 LOL .

-Jon

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Puter control of the timing and injection events, compression ratio, amount of boost and head design(direct injection vs indirect injection) are prolly the 4 biggest factors affecting HP & TQ in the PSD vs the Turbo IDI engines.

If I were to spend the $$$ to build a high performance IDI engine to compete with the PSD, Cummins and Duramax on a dyno or sled pulls I would.
  • lower the compression ratio to 16.5:1 max
  • have custom heads machined to make it a direct injection engine
  • have custom injectors made for running it as a direct injection
  • call Mel for a super Moose Pump:D
  • compound turbo setup from Barney;Sweet
  • lots and lots more
  • pray the bottom end could take 600 hp and 1400 ft lbs tq:peelout

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
another thing about the PSD is the oil stays cleaner. like you can still see the dipstick thru the old oil when you do your 5000 mile oil change. i dunno if that's because of the computer or not.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Ive noticed PSDs have more power, but and IDI is made for one thing. Reliability, Rated at 185 hp, and i figure international could of easily got it out more hp out of it, but would it of been as reliable, chances are no. Like the 6.0 in the newer fords, i have some good relations with the mechanics at a local ford dealership. From what they say is the 6.0 in the bigger trucks are just fine, they hardly have any problems with them, but they have a ton with the ones in the smaller trucks. They say the problem is the fact ford feeds the ones in the smaller trucks too much boost that they cant handle. The ones in the bigger trucks only make about 20 pounds of boost.
a PSD and a IDI are both good motors depends on which you like
I dont like all the oozy whatsys, i have enough problems with the electronics on my IDI let alone anything added