Wiring problems after a fire

michwalt15

Reaction score
My work truck caught on fire while my dad was borrowing it. 93 7.3 idi n/a. He patched as much as he could but it still has problems. It runs and drives but it starts in 3rd gear. You can manually shift to 2nd, 3rd, and reverse but not 1st or 4th. The tach doesn't work and that's what I've been working on. I swapped out the speedo gauge with no change and I've replaced the tach sensor. The passengers side battery is what caught on fire. The wires left with no place to go are: Gry-red, Red-grn, Grn-blk coming out of the wire loom between the passengers side battery and the radiator support. There's also two wires left unclaimed going to the alternator loom, blk-yellow and what appears to be pink with blue stripe. And the alternator doesn't work. I'd sell it and find another but it's got new tires, rebuilt trans <1000 miles ago, and a tommy gate. Any help would be appreciated. The 2nd picture is the wires with possibly a pink with blue stripe. I'm not sure if it's actually pink. And the wires coming from the sensor above the a/c evaporator have no place to go either.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

michwalt15

Reaction score
I had the alternator tested and it failed so I replaced it but I still have no charge coming from it. Is there a sensor or a connection in the passengers front corner that is missing? I've got 5 wires with no place to go.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can look at my harness tomorrow, to help you sort out the charge wire and those for the tach. Im not finding a good diagram and I did not take pics, for when I rewired the harness for a 6g alternator.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
It might be help if your willing to spend the money - a website called alldata should have most if not all the wiring diagrams (along with other stuff) for your truck as it came from the factory. It’s like $10-50 or so (last time I looked based on the subscription you choose) to get access for your vehicle. Most the auto repair shops around me use this site for all these technical diagrams and other info. Might be worth a look.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@michwalt15 Your local library may offer access to the Chilton libary, which is much more extensive than the manuals. Or find a library system that offers such access, like Los Angeles County, and sign up using a random address within their zone. It'll work for access for at least a week or so.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-diagrams.html - 1985/86 diagrams here as well, may be applicable to other years.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the tach, mine is orange or red with yellow stripe and think solid green

You must be registered for see images

For the charge wire, its green with a red strip and will be the I terminal on your 3g alternator. The other two on that plug will be, S that gose to another plug on the alternator and A that gose to a positive sorce.

You must be registered for see images

michwalt15

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I subscribed to alldata and I'll update when I make some progress.

michwalt15

Reaction score
The alldata wiring diagram for the engine compartment appears to be incorrect. The wires coming from my baro sensor are orange/wht, blue, and black. The alldata diagram has brn/wht, ltgrn/blk, and gry/red.

What is missing from the picture below? There has to be a connection, voltage regulator, or something that was attached to the fender that those 5 wires connected to. Is there a voltage regulator on a '93?

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diagrams for a 93 diesel show it using a alternator with the regulator built into it. So no external regulator. I can't see the 5 wires you are talking about in the picture.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a diagram with the red/lightgreen. It should have power if you turn the key to run. You could then keep checking power while you pulled on of the two fuses in the diagram below to possibly get a hint which red/lightgreen it was.

Attachments

• WD_Ford_183859.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 2

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This diagram has a grey/red.

Attachments

• WD_Ford_183789.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 2

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This diagram also has a grey/red and a lightgreen/black. Looks like ***/red is the 5v power from the computer to the various sensors.

Attachments

• WD_Ford_183790.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 2

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. I think the last diagram above also has the pink/lightblue. Controls the A/C somehow. Looks like the fire got into right many of the computer wires.