What batteries do you have in your idi?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an OBS, Group 65s. I bought blems from Interstate.

In a bricknose, if you can make the room to run Group 31s, I would do it, and I believe there should be some history on bricknose installation requirements if you do a search. Group 31s are always available (think of all the heavy trucks that use multiple batteries in every truck) and I seem to remember the truck shops always ran some really good specials on Group 31s in the fall.

Either should fire your truck just fine, but I think when you are talking old school battery technology, I'd go with Group 31s.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Either should fire your truck just fine, but I think when you are talking old school battery technology, I'd go with Group 31s.

These are the ones that O'Reilly says fits an IDI E350, maybe due to the battery tray sizes. My driver's side tray was so eaten away that I put in a new plastic tray that fits a 65, and the passenger side tray is partly eaten but is enough there to have a battery hold down installed. It's hard to find any specific info but I think it calls for 27 on both sides instead of 65s. Group 27 batteries seem to range anywhere from 700 CCA (a low end Interstate) to 840 CCA for that O'Reilly one below. The higher end Interstate is only 810 CCA. Considering that IDIs are considered 850CCA minimum, it's funny that Ford opted to smaller batteries.

The Everstart Maxx in 27 (810CCA) costs $20 more each than the Maxx in 65N (850CCA). It's hard to get a 65 in on the driver's side due to wires being in the way, but it's not worth spending $20 more to avoid. Nothing bigger than a 65 is gonna easily fit there though.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Interstate Economy Group 65's. That's what I run with my IDI's a and my 6.0.... $40 a battery, but you have to get them from a dealer or an Interstate All-Battery Store..... Fortunately I have one less than 15 miles from the house...

I actually run the Interstate Economy batteries in everything. I've bought at least a dozen (for different vehicles, not because they went bad). I'm on my 3rd set in the 6.0 (but I have owned it 13+ years), but have run them in IDI's, 6.0 (really ******* batteries), P71 Crown Vics, 91 Jetta Diesel, Infiniti QX56, Chrysler Cirruus, Chevy Tracker (Grand Vitara). My Son has a set of 31 Economies in his IDI...... that thing will crank forever...... I don't have economies in either of my 150's. One was replaced before I bought it, the other hasn't needed replaced.... but when they do.... they will get Economies......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a huge dislike for lead posts and cables.
group 31's here

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Interstate Economy Group 65's. That's what I run with my IDI's a and my 6.0.... $40 a battery, but you have to get them from a dealer or an Interstate All-Battery Store..... Fortunately I have one less than 15 miles from the house...

I tried that in the Amarillo TX All Battery store in late 2018. They only wanted to sell me $120-200 batteries with low (650-750) or normal (850) CCA. I said "no thanks" and went to Walmart for their ~$95 850 CCA ones.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay FAR away form Odyssey Dry cell batteries!!! Twice the price - half the life. I've tried the 925 and the 1200.
I run Deka AGM 65s in the 2000 and Duracell (Exide) 31C in the 89. I'm happy with both. Just exchanged a a Duracell 31C from my excavator last week in Sam's Club. 2.5 yrs old - they gave me a new battery and $.06 back. They said that they had come down in price an I got the refund 2.5 yrs later.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interstate group 65. They're about five years old so I'll be replacing them soon. I'll probably go with a different brand though. I really like Interstate but they're getting ridiculous in price. We sell them at work so I can get them at cost but even the dealer cost is getting crazy. I think they're around $110 each last time I checked.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have heard Deka makes good batteries but Deka as a company is a bunch of jerks (jerks is a nice way of saying it)
I applied and interviewed there for a Co-Op Diesel Mechanic job during my senior year of high school. it took them forever to interview me and during the interview they asked me a bunch of BS questions, i never got to see the garage where the trucks are and they didnt hire me. because of my experince with them i will never buy a battery from them

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Interstate group 65. They're about five years old so I'll be replacing them soon. I'll probably go with a different brand though. I really like Interstate but they're getting ridiculous in price. We sell them at work so I can get them at cost but even the dealer cost is getting crazy. I think they're around $110 each last time I checked.

Try $183 for ones with the proper 850 CCA for IDIs: https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-65hd

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try $183 for ones with the proper 850 CCA for IDIs: https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-65hd
Yep, that's what a dealer would charge a customer. Since we sell them where I work I can get them at our cost with no markup but even then they are still pretty expensive. I last checked the price on a group 65 about a year ago and I think at that time they cost the dealer around $110. They have probably gone up since then.

Edit:
I just got to work and looked at our prices. Our cost has gone up to $128 each on them.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. I can get a Deka flooded battery for $52-$62 depending on what number from battery mart

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually run 65 series in all my idi stuff and I usually buy the 850cca neverstart from wal mart here lately though since I opened an account at Napa where I get a bit better price I have been using their batteries with (so far) good luck. Of course right now I kinda have a hodge podge of batteries in my stuff, the idi bronco has a 1100 cca 31 series napa start rite on the main battery and a 65 series 950cca napa legend on the drivers side, the 86 has 2 group 27 napa legends that are I believe 875cca each and the 87 has 2 850cca neverstarts that are brand new. All so far have served me well.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow Top Optima, 750CCA, 870 CA. 5 years old

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang. I can get a Deka flooded battery for $52-$62 depending on what number from battery mart

That's why I started buying ACDelco batteries. Advance auto wanted $130 for my parents car, called them up and ACDelco had one same size with I think 50cca more for like $60 or something like that. I was shocked to say the least!

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 31s in my IDI. As far as brands, it was what ever O'reilly's had in stock since that's where I was at the last time my starter ate a set of batteries... They are Awesome! Still using one to start my Ford 1710 tractor. It's alternator is dead, so I trickle charge it a few times a year and that's enough to ensure the tractor will always start. I use the other one to run a 13k winch. I use the winch to drag logs into my 6x16 trailer for firewood. The 31 has no problems loading +8,000. Normally takes 3 or 4 hrs to load the trailer up.