very loud gear noise with zf5

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I know some noise is to be expected when lugging in 1st, 2nd, or reverse. But mine is very loud. It does have a luk smf conversion. My uncle has 2 smf zf5 460s and neither of them make this loud gear noise. Is this a diesel only occurance? I'm running 4 qts of mercon V, thats what a transmission guy that used to work for ford here told me to use.

This tranny guy took mine apart to replace the front seal and said it has a new lower cluster and that sometimes having new gears meshing with older ones will cause some noise. I just want to make sure this is normal and I can drive it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal. Each time a diesel fires a cylinder, it's like taking a sledge hammer to the drivetrain, unlike the 460 gas engine which is much milder and smoother. The gas engine only has about 8 to 1 compression while the diesel is in the 20's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually a ZF-5 with a SMF will sound much better with 2 gallons of 30Wt. non-detergent motor oil stuffed in it. That's what I've run for years in the Lady Moose, pulling 16,000lbs.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i'll have to buy a new clutch/pressure plate here in a couple months, I'll try that non-detergent motor oil then. I've heard about that before. Thank you guys, glad to know I don't have to get this thing rebuilt.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I listened to Mel and did that 30WT ND oil.....never goin any other way...my transmission is much quieter and gear changes seem to be smoother.