very loud gear noise with zf5

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I know some noise is to be expected when lugging in 1st, 2nd, or reverse. But mine is very loud. It does have a luk smf conversion. My uncle has 2 smf zf5 460s and neither of them make this loud gear noise. Is this a diesel only occurance? I'm running 4 qts of mercon V, thats what a transmission guy that used to work for ford here told me to use.

This tranny guy took mine apart to replace the front seal and said it has a new lower cluster and that sometimes having new gears meshing with older ones will cause some noise. I just want to make sure this is normal and I can drive it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal. Each time a diesel fires a cylinder, it's like taking a sledge hammer to the drivetrain, unlike the 460 gas engine which is much milder and smoother. The gas engine only has about 8 to 1 compression while the diesel is in the 20's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually a ZF-5 with a SMF will sound much better with 2 gallons of 30Wt. non-detergent motor oil stuffed in it. That's what I've run for years in the Lady Moose, pulling 16,000lbs.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i'll have to buy a new clutch/pressure plate here in a couple months, I'll try that non-detergent motor oil then. I've heard about that before. Thank you guys, glad to know I don't have to get this thing rebuilt.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I listened to Mel and did that 30WT ND oil.....never goin any other way...my transmission is much quieter and gear changes seem to be smoother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online