Turbo Installation/Brain Storming/Pic post

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So most of you know that i recently picked up a Banks Sidewinder turbo from a friend of mine. I have cleaned the turbo, as well as taken the housings off to measure the Wheels in side.The Turbo is off a 6.2L Chevy but after speaking to Typ4 i have learned that this turbo is very very close in spec to the ATS 088.

I have most of the Kit,( most of DP, both Up pipes, oil return line) But im gonna have to fab the flange for the Exhaust side inlet.

Ill be posting pics and updates here as i go along with my little project :D Here are some pics of my new toy, Also could any of you who have turbo setups on your trucks please post some pics or tips and tricks that you have learned from your experience?

Thanks
Andrew

You must be registered for see images attach

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the inducers and exducers of the compressor and turbine wheels?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the same as the rotomaster that banks sold for the idi kit, I have rebuilt 3 of them and they were actually all slightly different sizes, and part numbers.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Its a baby turbo. lol

I know, I know, but it was free so im not complaining

Here are the sizes on the wheels.

Intake:
Inducer: 2.280"
Exducer: 2.753"
A/R: .60

Exhaust:
Inducer: 2.527"
Exducer: 2.880"
A/R: 1.15

Tonight after class im going to run by the machine shop i used to work at and see if my buddies cant help me out on the flange for the inlet

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the inducer is the large part of the turbine wheel, and the exducer is the small part of the turbine.

I will do some searching, but after converting those numbers to mm, it seems to be close to a S300G.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So i went to the machine shop i used to work at and we have the flange all drawn up, now i just need to find some 1/2" plate to make it it out f

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
so right now im just waiting on my buddies to finish the flange. but i need to know now is what other parts should i start looking for? seeing as im gonna have to fab all the up pipes and down pipes, im just looking for a few ideas/pictures from other guys that have been down the Turbo road. I found a good picture from hyper max on their website showing the up pipes running up from the manifolds to the turbo.

http://www.gohypermax.com/images/Pr...47dc-bbda-7eff3b184203Thumb-PulseTurbo-1m.jpg

My thought is to have the pass side pipe crossover to the driver side where i will get a 2 in to 1 collector and then run those in to the single up pipe to the turbo so i will have the most room possible to run my 4" Down pipe on the pass side of the truck to the stacks.

Any thoughts, concerns, questions? please feel free to say anythign

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good id run the uppipe beside the motor and mount it there easier access to top of the motor

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done any turbo work , but I like your idea of the up-pipe on the drivers side to give you more room for the downpipe.That should work well.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I haven't done any turbo work , but I like your idea of the up-pipe on the drivers side to give you more room for the downpipe.That should work well.

Thanks, im just hoping it works in real life, for some reason things always seem to work better in my head cookoo

Bobus

Powerstroked
Reaction score
Heres a Picture of the Up Pipes and Banks Sidewinder Turbo on my 6.9l

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Heres a Picture of the Up Pipes and Banks Sidewinder Turbo on my 6.9l

that looks familiar, i think i found that pic on google a couple days ago... but thanks for the pic :D all the pics and advice will help, to be completely honest ive never attempted a project like this before

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head is really tight to the driverside firewall, not much room for the up pipe.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
time to break out my precision smacking device :D im also curious, on the cartridge there is a oval shaped mount for something, what is that for? i know where the oil feed is but what is the other side for?