Tire Talk...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I like This Size...

265/75/16 some nice choices out there!
(however) I'll need to find out my OE Steel Wheel width first!
The above requires a 7" min wide Wheel, and I feel mine may only be
6-6.50" wide :dunno

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres some pictures of my new 285's on my truck. Hope this helps you decide what to do...

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, but I don't even think my wheels are 7" wide!
More like 6.50" ...trying to find out w/out removing the tire from the wheel:rolleyes: .

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More like 6.50" ...trying to find out w/out removing the tire from the wheel:rolleyes: .

It's usually stamped on the wheel somewhere on the outside- no dismounting necessary. Look for something like 16x7JJ or 16x6.5JJ

Ryan

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's usually stamped on the wheel somewhere on the outside- no dismounting necessary. Look for something like 16x7JJ or 16x6.5JJ

Ryan

WOW...I just looked and didn't see anything!
I'll recheck again tomorrow when the Sun's out!;Sweet
If they are in fact 6" then I guess I'm stuck with purchasing the OE 235/85/16's:rolleyes:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the cost kills your deal, but these wheels are what I'd have put on my truck if I hadn't found the Factory Alcoas...

They're the next-best-thing, in my opinion, and $123 a wheel, not too terribly expensive either.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT66835.aspx

Ryan

Nice wheels for sure Ryan but after 20 years of ownership I'm not at the point to invest in new wheels. Also the Truck is for sale with a potential buyer in a few weeks, we'll let the next owner upgrade;Really . However if he bails I don't want to be stuck looking at a ugly tire either...lol
I just want to put a nice (inexpensive) set of tires on the Truck. And didn't even need/desire to do that before I saw the busted belt Sunday.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about Pro comp tires, anybody ever had any expericence with them?

I have Pro Comps (Not sure which ones) 265/75R16's on my '97 F150 and they do great on dry pavement.....get them in the mud and you have a slight chance of getting out, in the snow....it gets parked....too many deer and trees out here.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any shop that has a spin-balancer will have a set of wheel-width measuring calipers that can measure wheel-width with tire installed.

It only takes about a second and the caliper reads in 1/2-inch increments.

It looks sort of like a big pair of ice-tongs.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked to one of my tire suppliers the other day about this tire size, as I also run it on my 350. He's only able to get 5 tires in that size, and he said that it is being dropped from many of the tire makers offerings, because lack of sales. He also said that there really is no acceptable replacement size for a truck running that tire height on a narrow wheel, that would be as tall(for gearing purposes). In fact, I put a set of trailmark radial m/s on it last fall, and was going to put 2 more on it this fall, and lo and behold nobody has them anymore. Now I have tires I can't even match up. He suggested that I got to a medium duty tire 9.00-16 same with 35 inches tall, only available in very aggressive though. Salty in price also.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I'm going with these >>>

After much research...General Grabber-AT2 is the winner! And it got GREAT reviews!

After 18 years of using the 33" Tire...I'll miss the look and the lowered hwy RPM of the 33" tall 255/85/16 :(

However, the new General Grabber-AT2 235/85/16 are close @ 32" tall...and the tallest 235/85/16's I could find.

Thanks for all the suggestions/feedback...Ray;Sweet

*PS seems any savings offered from thetirerack.com is lost with the shipping costs! :dunno But a great place to see what's out there/compare etc.
However, I did get a very good local price;Sweet