Tire Talk...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With almost 50% tread left...It's tire time (again)...thanks to a busted belt!
255/85/16 is what I've been running for +15 years
Dunlop A/T Radial Rover has been on it since 2002 and to be honest they simply don't last. After a few years they show dryrot and this is the second set of Dunlops that has a busted belt! These tires NEVER go off road or hit a curb etc as I'm very easy and careful with my driving habits.

*Think I'm done with Dunlop!:puke:

Any suggestion on a A/T (more HWY) ORW letter tire in this size?
Please, no big-lug mudders etc.;Really

Thanks Ray

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the above reply...but again, I'm looking for some other feedback on 255/85/16 size rubber.

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
kelly awr radials, that's the same size i have on my 99 right now. they have 3 tread patterns, msr, dtr, and the awr. awr is the mildest pattern. they are rated for the same gross as the oem 235-85/16 grabbers, and work on a dually without spacers.

i used to run a super duty service truck, had 11,000+ on the rears and these were the best tires i ever had, hold up great, almost no sidewall flex, quiet, and good in snow. dte would be much better if you see much mud. prices are real reasonable. i got mine thru a jim paris tire, friend worked there got me a smoking deal.

the other tire i've looked at was the goodyears gsa, i wanted the 37/12.5 but that big only came in 17" and had no luck finding wider rims for them, did't want to put them on 6" rim. biggest thing was, they are rated for 4030 PER TIRE, double the oem grabbers. saw a tire site, everyone who was running them raved about them.

rubberfish

Reaction score
LT255/85/16's are a great size but with little choice.
I was unhappy with the Dunlop mudders I had before.
Wish I could help you, but I switched over to 285/75's and
315's because of the selection but I prefer pizza cutters. :thumbsup:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TOYOs or MAXXIS, if you want good tires.

Anything over five years is pushing the usable carcass life of a radial tire, regardless of tread-depth.

I know there are many instances of five year old radials being useful and trouble-free until slick; but, I see many casing failures in aged radials.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pirelli Scorpion ATR is the highest rated tire at Tire Rack. Part of the issue is that for whatever reason, you are stuck on that size. Tire Rack only offers 2 tires in that size and you already don't like one of them...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+ATR

I'm not seeing the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in the size I'm looking for (255/85/16).
And I like that taller (not to wide) tire because, my Truck doesn't have OD and the taller Tire lowers my highway rpm a tad. Plus the 33" tall tire fills in the wheel well nicely.

Also...that's what my spare is:rolleyes:

*thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LT255/85/16's are a great size but with little choice.
I was unhappy with the Dunlop mudders I had before.
Wish I could help you, but I switched over to 285/75's and
315's because of the selection but I prefer pizza cutters. :thumbsup:

The 285/75/16 are almost 33" tall! Which is what I'm after but, they also require a wider rim (7.5-9") then the OE size on my truck. :(

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Pirelli Scorpion ATR is the highest rated tire at Tire Rack. Part of the issue is that for whatever reason, you are stuck on that size. Tire Rack only offers 2 tires in that size and you already don't like one of them...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+ATR

Those are the ones I put on the 05 psd and they are great. Now on the IDI I like to use Michelin tires and I have had great results so far.

Now the dumploops well I never towed with those but I have used them in other trucks and when wet don't try to slam on the breaks or You'll feel Your own &all$ up Your throat :eek: , they are th worst tires I ever run with.

My other choice if I can't afford pirelli or Michelin is BFG.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 285/75/16 are almost 33" tall! Which is what I'm after but, they also require a wider rim (7.5-9") then the OE size on my truck. :(

I just installed a set of 285/75 BFG AT's on my stock 96 PSD wheels last Wednesday. They're a little wide for the stock 7" wheels, but look great. Best of all, you can get them in a load range "E" which is a 10 ply tire. The "E" tires don't have the white letters that make the BFG's my favorite tire, but I sacrificed for safety. You can get the "D" load range with white letters if that is a requirement for you and you don't haul heavy.

Now before we get into a tire load rating debate, let me say that I know you can tow with a D load range in the 285 size, but the extra capacity of the E's made them attractive to me. White letters or not, the look great and ride like a dream!

Edit: I should note that I've got add-a-leaves on the front to level my truck, and bags in the back. The fit is a little snug on the front, but I haven't had any rubbing at all.

Ryan

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they look over-inflated, but I'm used to huge tires on little wheels from my 4-wheeling experiences. I'll see if I can get a picture for you tomorrow and you can judge for yourself. The contact patch is full across, and the wider tire gives just a little more cushion for a better ride, in my opinion.

Ryan