Tire Talk...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'll second the BFG's. I have the exact same tires as reklund here, and I like them. One bad thing about them is that they will pick up gravel and throw it at you when you head out on the highway. Its no big deal if you drive a little slow the first half mile. If your worried about the 285's fitting try going to the 265/75/16 tires, they are about an inch shorter and an inch less tall, so it should fit on a 7" wide wheel nicely. And if I remember right a 285/75/16 is almost 34" tall, so a 265/75/16 should be a little less than 33". Hope that helps.

One more thing though, whats your price range, that will affect what kind of tires you can get a bit.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres some pictures of my new 285's on my truck. Hope this helps you decide what to do...

Ryan

Attachments

• New Tires 001.jpg
    New Tires 001.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 14
  • New Tires 002.jpg
    New Tires 002.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 12
  • New Tires 003.jpg
    New Tires 003.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 16
  • New Tires 004.jpg
    New Tires 004.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 10
  • New Tires 005.jpg
    New Tires 005.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 10

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Nothing against anyone running them but I hate BFG's... We used to race on bfg's and I realize there is a difference between race rubber and street rubber, but we used to have 2 or 3 flats every race.

BFG's have a very thin sidewall.. I will admit that they last a long time if your using them on the street .... take them off-road and it's just a matter of time before they are going to have an issue.

We run Goodyear MTR's... Much stronger tire.... just a horrible tread life. I think they are good for about 15-25 thousand miles if you rotate them regularly. Don't rotate and they go quick... since we switched to them on the race truck we have only had one flat in 3 years. In fact we did the entire Nevada 1000 on a single set of tires.

I have BFG's on the truck right now because it had them on when I purchased it... When I lift the truck I am going to put on Parnelli Jones.. I read they are strong with good traction in dirt mud and snow... and have a fairly decent tread life.

Just my .02

rubberfish

Reaction score
Those look good on the stock wheels reklund. :thumbsup:
I've got a set of 285's mounted on some stock GM
wheels. I'll post a pic later today. HammerDown,
I'm not trying to talk you out of 255's. They're an
awesome size. Just limited choices that's all.
In 255/85/16's I've always run a mud tire.
BFG's last almost twice as long as Dunlop's.
And the Dunlop's are way noisier than BFG's.
I don't care if they're cheaper. never again.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Want tall skinny's? Got tons of money?
Try the prices on Michelin military tires. :eek:
I would like a set of skinny 39's :thumbsup: :hail

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Some pictures of the truck with Goodyears.... The tires have about 20,000 miles in the side shot picture... in the other I don't know for certain... probably 10,ooo. The weird thing about Goodyears is that they will wear and wear without seeming like anything is happening and then they wear real quick like.

Attachments

• front corner small.jpg
    front corner small.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 8
  • more tread.jpg
    more tread.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing against anyone running them but I hate BFG's... We used to race on bfg's and I realize there is a difference between race rubber and street rubber, but we used to have 2 or 3 flats every race.

BFG's have a very thin sidewall.. I will admit that they last a long time if your using them on the street .... take them off-road and it's just a matter of time before they are going to have an issue.

We run Goodyear MTR's... Much stronger tire.... just a horrible tread life. I think they are good for about 15-25 thousand miles if you rotate them regularly. Don't rotate and they go quick... since we switched to them on the race truck we have only had one flat in 3 years. In fact we did the entire Nevada 1000 on a single set of tires.

I have BFG's on the truck right now because it had them on when I purchased it... When I lift the truck I am going to put on Parnelli Jones.. I read they are strong with good traction in dirt mud and snow... and have a fairly decent tread life.

Just my .02

I totally agree with your statement about BFG sidewalls. Unless you're running the Krawler T/A the sidewalls cut easily. I run the Goodyear MT/R's on my rockcrawler for the same reason as you, and will likely switch to an Interco tire when these wear out. The Goodyears were one of the only tires available in a 37x12.50 R17 size when I was looking for tires. My next set will be 40's or so, and Interco fits the bill there...

On the street though, with an occasional dirt road or snowstorm, the BFG's are hard to beat. They look great, wear great, and are quiet. I've got the BFG's on my truck, my wife's 4Runner, My Dads Tundra, and had them on Mom's Grand Cherokee before they traded it in on a Subie...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the other comments on my old truck guys! I try to keep it looking good, since theres no way I'm gonna sign up for a $600/mo truck payment on a new one!

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're talking Goodyears too...here's a picture of my rockcrawler. And yes, thats Walker Evans heading down the hill behind me! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Gordy's Hill11.jpg
    Gordy's Hill11.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 19

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T in 255/85R16 on my 4x4 E350. I like them alot. They are not a mudder but they are probably a bit more agressive than what you're after.

I have read of the Toyo M55 in this size being a very long lived tire for gravel road use, perhaps this would translate to the pavement. Again, another aggressive tread for a pavement pounder though.

Ken

Reaction score
... The "E" tires don't have the white letters that make the BFG's my favorite tire, but I sacrificed for safety. You can get the "D" load range with white letters if that is a requirement for you and you don't haul heavy.

Ryan

Maybe they stopped making them, but the BFG AT on my truck are white letter and load range E.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
From Tirerack.com

235/85SR16
Raised White Letters Serv. Desc: 120/116S
Load Rating E
Price: $129.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: Back Order

Qty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Tirerack.com

235/85SR16
Raised White Letters Serv. Desc: 120/116S
Load Rating E
Price: $129.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: Back Order

Qty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Mine are 285's...no availability, even on the BFG website when I checked last week.

Ryan