'90 7.3idi Harmonic Balancer Fit Years

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Been searching for a new harmonic balancer for a '90 F350idi.
Going through online parts suppliers it appears as though the '88-'91 model parts are scarce.
That said, '92 and up are everywhere.
I'm wondering what's the difference, if any.
For instance, I had to get a new clutch/slave assembly.
I couldn't find anything until I realized the '92-'97 were an exact fit, but with upgraded components,(steel master and steel braided hydraulic line instead of plastic), a lot cheaper, and could be found everywhere.
Which brings me to question this latest issue.
All the listings I've found for the 7.3 harmonic balancer indicate "serpentine".
That confounds me because there is no actual belt pulley permanently attached to the balancer, rather, it's mounted in front of it.
All the pictures also show no pulley.
I'm planning on grabbing a dial indicator to check dimensions and compare to a newer year model.
I was just wondering if anyone else has already visited this issue and what your resolution was.
Thanks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockauto has 3 different ones? Only 2 are available though. It's a good place to get part numbers and do a google search to see if someone else has one also.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Guessing on the bolt pattern possibly being different ( maybe)
Definitely not. I have the stock balancer on my truck from 88 and the serp pulleys bolt right on.

My truck VS my in laws 92 I couldn't see any visual differences between the balancers.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Can't say I understand why they would delete the earlier years, unless the new model's are of better quality.
Heading out shortly to a chain store to compare.
The only ones listed for 88-91 are also listed up to 97, so obviously interchangeable.
Which only opens up a Pandora's Box that will now require more extensive research into every future part purchased for this project to determine which design is a higher quality part.
I'm betting God had a chuckle when I totaled up the anticipated budget of the engine/transmission swap.
I'm almost at the 2x level now.
But then, it's gonna be so cool when it's done...lol

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait
Wasn't there something about the crankshaft ballance with the dmf setup?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I didn't change mine when I went from dmf to smf, and my in laws truck is an auto and balancer still looked the same.

Reactions: Clb

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only ones listed for 88-91 are also listed up to 97, so obviously interchangeable.
It's been a long time since I've looked at one, but I'm pretty sure that the Power Strokes didn't use the same balancer as the IDIs. Those must be for gas engines despite their listings.
The only ones that would be different for the IDIs would be the ones for the Factory Turbo engines.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this guy, he is located in Redding, Ca.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7