Thread locker orange vs blue for fan clutch

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use blue threadlocker, here’s why…

When I was a kid, I once went with him to the lumberyard east of Pagosa Springs Colorado, as he needed some lumber for a job he was doin out there, back when he built barbed wire. I can’t remember what the lumber was for, but anyway, what is now the farm feed truck, was once his truck. It has a 24V Cummins, which also has a left hand thread fan clutch. He had just replaced it the other day, it was summertime and hot, and the truck had been getting a little warm cuz the fan clutch needed replaced. He said he got it tight, but when we rolled up to the lumberyard and he let off the accelerator pedal, there was a crashing noise, as the fan and clutch went flying into the radiator. That damn sure ruined our day… so that’s why, I’m paranoid about it unscrewing when it’s locked on from being hot, and decelerating.
If it's tightened properly that'll never happen.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's tightened properly that'll never happen.
It shouldn’t happen, and maybe he didn’t get it tight enough. I myself would rather be safe than sorry. I have taken off one of the ones I put threadlocker on, with the right tools it isn’t difficult.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A $23 wrench is cheaper to replace than a $700 radiator.
Buying a $100 fan clutch every time you buy a $50 water pump is also cheaper than buying a $700 radiator and way less frustrating…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Buying a $100 fan clutch every time you buy a $50 water pump is also cheaper than buying a $700 radiator and way less frustrating…

I think the fan clutch kind of needs to come off first before the water pump? I mean you have to remove it anyway to get the fan off of the old fan clutch. Unless you are going to replace the fan every time too.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the fan clutch kind of needs to come off first before the water pump? I mean you have to remove it anyway to get the fan off of the old fan clutch. Unless you are going to replace the fan every time too.
Yes but if you can’t get the fan clutch off, and are replacing the water pump, just cut the clutch off, take the fan off, get a new fan clutch, and put it all together

Black dawg

Reaction score
This has gotten silly.

I have seen 2 fans come unscrewed, and both happened within 5 minutes of engine start up immediately after being installed. both times was due to not being tightened at all. Two different guys. And both just forgot to tighten them.

Also have taken off too many to remember, and have never found one loose.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I do have this big asterisk old USA made Crescent brand adjustable wrench that might do it. LOL Might try that before the Amazon one since I could send it back.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion, a right to that opinion, and the methods and procedures that come with those opinions. It really doesn’t hurt anything to use locktite, some people might not like it, but like I said, everyone has a right to their own opinion, however damned it may seem!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Yes but if you can’t get the fan clutch off, and are replacing the water pump, just cut the clutch off, take the fan off, get a new fan clutch, and put it all together
I've had the privilege of replacing 2 or 3 engines the the owner trued to replace. Each of those particular times, the truck came in with the water pump in the bed and the fan was still attached. That was enough to convince them that it should be left to someone with more knowledge. So it is possible to remove the water pumps with the fan still attached and not have to cut the fan or clutch off. I reused the fan each time.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That big wrench only opens to 1-3/4", so the proper one I ordered is what I'll have to use.