Thread locker orange vs blue for fan clutch

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on orange thread locker instead of blue for the water pump to fan clutch threads? Orange boasts being hand tool removable also, but 3x stronger than blue and works with larger threads. Both cost about the same on RockAuto, where I'm about to place an order.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on orange thread locker instead of blue for the water pump to fan clutch threads? Orange boasts being hand tool removable also, but 3x stronger than blue and works with larger threads. Both cost about the same on RockAuto, where I'm about to place an order.

Blue will be best if you ever need to take it back off, will hold it on just fine with a liberal application of it.

Orange will make it damn near permanent…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Blue will be best if you ever need to take it back off, will hold it on just fine with a liberal application of it.

Orange will make it damn near permanent…

Thanks for the advice. I ordered blue. That's what I put on the RV in 2019 when IDIBronco did the fan clutch for me and it held on fine, just wanted to be sure there wasn't something slightly better maybe.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red is pretty much permanent, orange is damn near it, can still be taken off with hand tools, just need a long breaker bar for maximum ugga duggas

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a stock fan clutch, I don't ever see it being a problem with the threads coming loose. With my locked fan there is some risk, but it never has come loose either and don't use any type of thread locker either. That's why it's left hand thread, it naturally tightens with the direction the engine runs.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use blue threadlocker, here’s why…

When I was a kid, I once went with him to the lumberyard east of Pagosa Springs Colorado, as he needed some lumber for a job he was doin out there, back when he built barbed wire. I can’t remember what the lumber was for, but anyway, what is now the farm feed truck, was once his truck. It has a 24V Cummins, which also has a left hand thread fan clutch. He had just replaced it the other day, it was summertime and hot, and the truck had been getting a little warm cuz the fan clutch needed replaced. He said he got it tight, but when we rolled up to the lumberyard and he let off the accelerator pedal, there was a crashing noise, as the fan and clutch went flying into the radiator. That damn sure ruined our day… so that’s why, I’m paranoid about it unscrewing when it’s locked on from being hot, and decelerating.