My '93 F-250 IDI Overhaul Thread

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the damage($$) for something like that? Still have to use the coolant additive after getting them sleeved?

TurboDan

Reaction score
I just got the heads back, they didn’t mill any off them, they were within spec. Ended up with 8 new valve guides though, plus seals and springs.

TurboDan

Reaction score
What's the damage($$) for something like that? Still have to use the coolant additive after getting them sleeved?
The quote was $1900 and change for all of the machine work on the short block, that might have included the sleeves themselves I’ll have to check. It does not include other parts like pistons, rings bearings etc.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have to use the coolant additive after getting them sleeved?

I believe the answer is yes. Sleeving doesn't remove the source of the problem, just removes the damage it caused. Sleeving is a good idea because you never know how close they are to breaking through, unless maybe sonic testing would show it.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the answer is yes. Sleeving doesn't remove the source of the problem, just removes the damage it caused. Sleeving is a good idea because you never know how close they are to breaking through, unless maybe sonic testing would show it.

Thought maybe the sleeves could be thicker than the original walls

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought maybe the sleeves could be thicker than the original walls

That's technically irrelevant. The thinner walls of the 7.3 are more likely to break through, but even the thicker walls of the 6.9 get eaten by cavitation. They just last much longer before breaking through completely.

Some people get lucky running their 7.3 without the additives, it's just not a chance I care to gamble on!

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's technically irrelevant. The thinner walls of the 7.3 are more likely to break through, but even the thicker walls of the 6.9 get eaten by cavitation. They just last much longer before breaking through completely.

Some people get lucky running their 7.3 without the additives, it's just not a chance I care to gamble on!

Heard it from others that the thinner walls of the of the 7.3 allowed micro flexing that created cavitation, and cavitation wasn't an issue in these engines until the displacement was bumped up.

Along with that, was told coolant additive was developed specifically for the 7.3 motor and the 6.9 never had cavitation issues (could be completely wrong heheh)

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard it from others that the thinner walls of the of the 7.3 allowed micro flexing that created cavitation, and cavitation wasn't an issue I'm these engines until the displacement was bumped up.

Along with that, was told coolant additive was developed specifically for the 7.3 motor and the 6.9 never had cavitation issues (could be completely wrong heheh)

I heard (hearsay mind you, no firsthand experience) that it has happened to 6.9s it was just a rare occurrence and the thinner walls of the 7.3 made it much more prevalent and it then became an issue.

As I said, just what I've heard so your results may vary!